I hate locked gates

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Are there any applicators here that won't service an application customer's property if they have a locked gate? I've got a few customers like this that have locked gates. Because of this, I have to call them the day before and request that they leave the gate unlocked for me the next day. I'm not crazy about having to put in extra effort when I'm not being compensated for it. What really ticks me off is when I call them the day before like I'm supposed to, but when I show up the next day, they forgot to unlock the gate. They're at work, so there's no way to get it unlocked.
    I have a provision in my service agreement that covers this. It states that if I can't gain access to a backyard because of a locked gate, I'll service the part of the property I can gain access to, but charge the customer the full amount.
    Even though I'd be within my rights to do that, I still call them back and tell them I'll be out after I finish everyone else.
    It sure will be nice when I've maxed out my route. When I have all the customers I want, I won't service lawns with locked gates. It sure will be nice. Anyone care to share their opinions on this?

2. ccash

ccash Banned

i do the exact same thing

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I ask customers to make me a copy of the key. they usually do. I have had a few times when gates were locked and I have loosened the bolts on the latch and the gate opens right up. I have also gotten really good at opening privacy gates that are latched with lawn marking flags!

4. Victor

All of the locked gates I deal with, are locked and unlocked from the inside unfortunately(padlock). There's no way to unlock them from the outside.

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Back in my younger days there wasn't a fence that could hold me out. Loop the hose over and hoist my self over. Either the fences are getting taller or gravity is working better, because I'd end up impaled if I tried that now, LOL.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Every account with a locked fence that we have they give us a key. It's either that or it will not get done.

7. Victor

I could get over all of my fences, but I use granular ferts.

8. Victor

I can't wait until I can be that selective Buddy.

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You will be someday!!!!!! Just keep up the good work.

10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I know, this was in the early 90's before granular was in vogue.