I hate my Lesco spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by zz4guy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest problem is it wont shut off. When you pull back the handle it stays open and you end up with product all over your sidewalk or truck. I've tried to figure out why it wont shut off but it looks like its designed this way. I absolutely hate the thing. Going to the Lesco dealer this morning to ask them what's wrong.

I figured for $400 this thing should practically fertilize the lawn itself, but boy was I wrong. What brand should I try next?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I love my Lesco spreader, but I also don't use it very much! It is easy to push and has always seemed to work well.

If I was going to buy a different brand, from hearing everyone else on here I would definitly go with the Spyker.

PM American if you need info on them! He swares by them and he is going over 3000 lawns....so he will knows

3. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

ZZ4,
    Something is definitely wrong with your unit. Take it back and let them figure out what is wrong. We have 7 of them and have never had any issues with the shut-offs. They, in my opinion are the best out there for the money.
    Good luck!

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same problem, couldn't figure it out, it turned out that the handle part, what you hold on to, was upside down. Before it was fixed I would close it and there would still be a considerable gap that I couldn't get to close. Flipped that peice right side up and it works great. I like it, it can get a little hard to push on a hill when full but that is operators choice just on how full you want to make it. It is also just a little tall for when I am going up hill. You got to raise the "feet" off the ground and push at the same time and when your going up hill you are already below the spreader. I am 6' 1" so I'm not exactly short. I would hate it if I were someone shorter.

5. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

There is an adjustment at the bottom of the rod that runs from the on/off lever and the shut off plate. If the nuts aren't far enough up the threaded end of the rod the shut off plate doesn't get closed all the way.

6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I tightend and loosened it until it to it's max. That is when I started looking at other things and realized the handle was on upside down. I couldn't remember if I put it together or the guys at lesco. I do know that the ones they have their now are pre-assembled.

7. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I usually clean it out when I home from mowing lawns. Make sure nothing is caught in it and hose it down.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How old is it (How much use)? They have to be cleaned once in a while, You have to take the bottom slider assembly apart, clean the stainless s;ides, and spray with a silicone spray upon reassembly. It will work bette than new - much smoother and easier.

9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

There are 3-4 little tabs that hold the spreader plate to the bottom of the tub. Maybe bent or gone. Replace them all.

10. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Turns out they assembled the handle upside down. Now it works ok.