I hate people that don't pay!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Jul 26, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Just had to start a thread to get it out.

Just how can people see us working, sweating to make their turf look good and then...stiff us???

I am at the end of my rope with people like this.

I am willing to say that I will learn a way to collect or cripple these "deadbeats" then I will share it with all of you.

We bust our b@lls and they get free work?...BS

kc

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

True True,i have a preacher owes me $169 for two months what do i do eat it.

3. K.Carothers

H@ll no!!!

You worked for that and you need to get paid.

I will get to the bottom of these non-payers and find a way to make their lives hell and stick it to them.

I will let everyone know.

kc

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How are you trying to collect the money? Are you sending out an invoice stating that their balance is overdue? Are you making a phone call to them?
    if so, then that is not enough.
    You need to show up at their door. We have very few late payers, elderly clients pay quickly, that's been our experience.
    However, we signed on a restaurant this year, not a chain, but a family owned one. They weren't paying. We stopped service, and they owed $318.00 for the month. Not an exorbitant amount, but enough that I knew I would make 'em pay. I am very pushy if I have to be in person. I showed up at the restaurant at lunch, asked to speak to the owner. She comes out and I say, "I am such and such lawn care, and I am here to collect on the overdue balance you owe us. We provided the service, here is the invoice." She says, "well she isn't here right now." I said, "I asked to speak to the owner." She says, "i'm her daughter, come back in a half hour." I went back 30 minutes later, and said the same thing to the owner. She said she would go in the back to write a check. It was taking forever, when this old guy (owners husband) came out sniffing around. Saying how he didn't like my attitude. I said, "well I don't like yours either, just like you expect your patrons to pay their lunch bill ON TIME, we expect the same thing." I said it loud, and I know others heard. I had the check in my hand in a matter of minutes after that.
    You HAVE to put people on the spot, and be forceful.
    I'm not saying you aren't, I don't know your situation and how you are going about trying to collect.

5. K.Carothers

I hear you Jodi.

These are the steps today.

1. Called client- left message
    2. Called client- Left message
    3. Went to clients home and pushed the hell out of the door bell- no answe even though his vehicle was in the driveway.
    4. Called client again stating I was at their house.
    5. Talked to neighbor
    6. emailed client
    7. had secretary call client at 6:30pm and left message
    8. PO'ed right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not F' me!!!

kc

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I had an over due account from last year this spring ($1300+). Sent letter after letter, threatened collection agency, small claims court, etc. I stopped in unannounced to visit them, and (luckily for me) the neighbor was over. I introduced myself, refreshed his memory of the service I provided the year before and said "you have an outstanding balance from last year" loud enough to make sure the neighbor heard it. He asked how much and I said "just a touch over $1300". Solved that problem very quicky.

7. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

When you go to the clients house to collect you can call your local law enforcement office and request an officer for a civil stand-by, they will usually send out 2 cruisers and the officer will knock on the door and request them out of the house for you to talk to them. This will embarrass them in front of their neighbors because no one wants the police to show up. A friend of mine has had good luck with this, don't forget to thank the officers for their time.

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I'm out $144 and about to send a bill out (another $72) for july to this lady.

She usually won't pay till its close to 500 dollars. Last time her check bounced too on top of all that, so now I only demand cash.

What am I supposed to do? I got bills to pay just like her.

BTW I warned her new cleaning lady about that house being late payers, she was grateful for the heads up.

9. K.Carothers

Good info - Thanks.

kc

10. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I'm going to have to remember this one! I'm not sure if the police in this town would take their time to do this, but I may have to try this the next time. I used small claims the last time and it worked. It just took about a year to collect $135 plus court fees was the only problem.