I hate people

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Feb 25, 2009.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Why did I start a service company when I hate people:hammerhead:

Have a FORMER customer that I had to send to collections. He just sent a cease and desist letter, so they can no longer contact him.

He claims that I am a fly by night company and he had to hire Scotts to finish the job because I was no where to be found.

I was able to be found, just not on his property, he just couldnt find his checkbook for me to come back and finish the season.

We aerated/de-thatched/added topsoil/seeded/fertilized for him, and after it was all done he said I was ripping him off, that my price was too high. He paid me $300 on a $1000 service.

Even with a signed contract/copy of a cleared check/and a partially paid invoice I dont have a leg to stand on because he just decided he wasnt going to pay.

If this is the case across the country what is the point of being in business for yourself if it is this easy to get away without paying??

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Don't let to much time go before you get paid next time. Do you have a lawyer?

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

You do have a leg to stand on. This just means that you get to haul his lying butt to court. I would, with a turd like that. If you have a contract, and it is signed, and he already made partial payment, then he is toast. Unless he is declaring bankruptcy, then you are out of luck.

Have you been unreachable, like he claims? If you have had the same phone number/residence the whole time and can prove it, that will help too. It will show that he is lying.

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I know I let it go too long, that is my fault. Will not happen again.

My number/residence has not changed nor did he get me out of the yellow pages like he claims, I never had an ad in the yellow pages.

Yet, I am now a fly by night company b/c he cant find an ad in the yellow pages anymore. Friggin look on the internet, check with the BBB, drive into town I keep my trucks on the busiest corner in town.

Whatever, lesson learned. It will cost me more to pursue it at this point than it is worth and this guy knows that.

5. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I had a custmer file bankrupcy on a 39.00 lawn application.This was a almost a year ago and I still get letters from his att. saying he filed

6. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

I think for the most part that people are honest, but I have had my share of deadbeats. I try to learn from it and not let it ruin my day.

7. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Kinda makes you want to drive by at night (in your wifes vehicle) and toss a water balloon filled with round-up, out on there lawn !!! Not that I have done it, nor do I recommend it. :nono: :laugh:

8. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would call my attorney.

or................

Hello Judge Judy

9. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Round up - landscapers revenge

10. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

hell, get a whole crew and do a drive by with water guns full of round up. karma will get this deadbeat. that is what i tell myself at least.