I hate pruning shrubs ! So what hedge trimmer should I get

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dan1944, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

I find my self in need of a professional hedge trimmer, due to increasing requests from my customers. I need something that will do a good job in the least amount of time. I am looking at a Sthil HS 80 with a 30" blade or an Echo HC 180. I have both Sthil and Echo equipment and like them both. My nearest dealers (important to me) are Sthil (1 mile) and Echo (10 miles). My Sthil dealer is top notch and will bend over backward to make it right for his customers. Gee maybe I answered my own question ?. Well any way, what are your suggestions and or comments.
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

That stihl is pretty damned heavy though, and a pain in the butt for higher stuff. Some guys here recommend getting the stihl attachment for the fs85 weed wacker for hedge trimming for higher and overhead stuff.

Me, I am considering going back to electric trimmers because of the weight issue. I dunno.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Any of them sell Redmax?
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Redmax are fairly heavier than others, but they are by far the best IMHO!!
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have the redmax wacker with all the attachments. they do a great job, i can make a boxwood look like donald duck in like 28 minutes. they are very heavy though
  6. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

and have him/her show you how to prune! And how to know WHICH plants to use hedge trimmers on, and which to NOT use hedge trimmers on.
    Then worry about which hedge trimmer to buy.
  7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

In addition to what Mike said, always charge enough to have a smile on your face on jobs you dislike. Remember if the job is easy or the equipment is cheap to make the job easy, the clients would be doing it themselves. Shrubs are hard work, do not sell that portion of your service as a loss leader just to get the account.
  8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

that's true, however. Any tool in the hands of skilled professionals will do.

Ourselves, we use power hedge trimmers for everything. Speed is critical. I can't trim spirals or pom-poms with one of those big and scissors. Seen people do it, much more time is needed and in the end both of ours look the same.
  9. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

Not to slam you personally but if you REALLY think you can prune everything with trimmers and look the same - you haven't got a clue.
  10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Now I see what happens in here. It's the litteral word. Now I understand I have to be more carefull.

We do prune everything with power clippers.
    There are some exceptions where selectively prunning with hand clippers is necessary. Do you need examples?

We are not doing pom-poms or spirals by hand...............don't have that kind of time to waste. Yes, doing them with power clippers or by hand they look the same.

If you think otherwise, how is that?
    Is not the end result that both methods are going for?
    Why spend the extra time by hand?