I HATE stick edgers!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Apr 2, 2004.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have tried 2 stick edgers. 3 years ago I bought a Shin. stick edger, used it for 2 weeks, then returned it for about 80% of what I paid. This Spring, I tried a Stihl 110. I used it yesterday (3 lawns). I took it back today for a full refund.

I'd much rather use my Tanaka push edger for larger jobs, and my Echo w/ Edgit for the really small jobs. I just don't know why stick edgers are so popular....

CHAINSAW13 LawnSite Member

Nature, From what I've observed, the stick edgers are only good once you have used a real edger (push type) to establish a nice edge. The sticks should be used as a weekly or bi-weekly quick fix. That's what the stihl rep told me years ago and that's what I've found to work best in most situations. People have a tendency to use the wrong equipment because they think it's easier, but in reality it sometimes makes the job tougher. I only use my McLane edger because (for myself) I just can't justify the price of a "Stick".
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

How do you edge around patios in the back yards, or curbs with a push edger? I would have no use for one of those. Depends on what you use it for i guess.
  4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I only used the stick edgers on props that had already been well edged with the Tanaka. Power wasn't the problem. The problem is the cumbersomeness and holding the weight of the machine as opposed to simply pushing the Tanaka.

Lawnman Scott,
    Edging along patios and curbs is easily done with the trimmer, once the edge has already been established. Especially easy to do (easier than the stick edger!) with an Edgit attachment.
  5. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Chainsaw is right. If you have a sidewalk that has never been edged, a push edger is the way to go until you get a groove. Then you cant beat a stick edger the rest of the time. I keep my push edger now for nothing more than if i come across a real mess.

CHAINSAW13 LawnSite Member

Lawnman_scott, I don't have a problem using the push edger around patios or curbs. Sometimes I do have to use my string trimmer to edge up where the cement butts up against a solid object but that is usually not more than 3 to 4 inches and usually less. But hey man whatever works best for you. I also run two blades on my edger. It gives me a little wider edge and it seems to give a cleaner cut. Doesn't seem to bog down the power either.
  7. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how you cool weather grass people have a problem edging with a stick edger. I use my each and every time with Burmuda grass ( one of the most invasive grasses around). Burmuda grows out as much or more than it grows up. Even on new properties that haven't been done in awhile a stick edger will work. I have a Tanaka wheeled edger that is going to be sold in my wife's garage sale this spring. All I use is Shindaiwa "stick" edgers. I once visited my Sister up North and wondered how lawn guys can get done so fast and then I saw the types of grasses up there and said to myself "No wonder". I think some people just don't like holding a stick edger up. We had a few employees who wanted to use that shoulder strap with the "stick" edger (and weedeater) because they just did not have the arm muscle built up to handle it. We commonly referred to this strap as the "P" strap (a word associated with a domesticated house cat)
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have some with lots of edging in back, and it seems like it would be a pain. And like the curbing at car dealerships, things like that. We have to edge every week here though.
  9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I use my Shin stick edger on VERY overgrown grass, centipede, St. Aug, and others. I haven't used my push edger ONCE since I've gotten the stick, and I've had plenty of overgrown new accounts. Y'all must be using it wrong or something. lol

Our grass is worse and more invasive then northern grasses, like I said, never a problem. Now I admit, on some that are really bad, I use it, then go back over it with the trimmer to separate the cut grass and toss it away from the edge. Perfect.
  10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Naturescape, I've used all three edgers. The Edgit on an Echo, Stihl stick edgers, and various push edgers. Each has their place, and these have been my observations.

The push edger is great for developing new edges, or long straight runs along sidewalks, etc. I find them tough to handle in tight places, tight curves, and on lawns that slope to and from the edge. I generally always find myself adjusting the height and bevel.

The stick edger is great for overall maintenance of edges, and can generally create new lines as well. It does fine in tight areas, easy to adjust the height, and just tilting the edger when necessary does bevel correction. My right wrist and arm does get tired after about thirty minutes straight, however I learned to use the stick edger with my left arm.

The Edgit is what I consider to be a very handy tool for “rapid deployment.” It’s far better than trying to edge with a regular line trimmer, gets into tight places, and could practically eliminate the need of hauling around an edger on your trailer. It can’t establish new edges, and I don’t think the cut quality is as good as the others when properly used.