I hate stupid people

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Not once, not twice, not even three times yesterday the phone rang (Saturday 02 July) but NINE times for someone looking to get a one time cut that day.

I mean come on. Did you not realize that your grass was growing in the daily hour plus rain we have had for the last 2 weeks? Did you forget it was the 4th of July weekend? Do you really think I want to ruin my ONLY long weekend this summer so you can have a decent looking lawn for one weekend this year?

Four of these geniuses got indignant when I told them my guys had the weekend off. With one belligerent guy I offered to mow his 1/4 acre for him if he paid DOUBLE the normal one time price of $45. He said he thought it should only cost $20. I was having this conversation at 6:45 PM.

Thankfully he was the last moron to call and so far the phone has been quiet this morning.

2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

hey dude that sounds like good extra money to me. I'd be cutting those $20 lawns for 60 bucks. I wish stupid desperate people called me this weekend. My $65 lawns would turn into $200./

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

It's so dry here I would gladly do one time cuts. But last year is rained so much that it was hard to keep up so I know what you mean!

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I only got three calls like that this weekend. I cant beleive people are that dumb and think you will drop everything for a one time cut, and want it done for nothing.

5. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Leave a message on your business line that you are off for the 4th of July weekend and DON'T answer the phone, problem solved.

6. BNC SERVICES

BNC SERVICES LawnSite Member

Its so dry here i have not cut my yard in three weeks........

7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I tell everyone that calls like that that my day to day minimum for a one time cut is $50 but on holiday weekends such as the 4th of July, one time cuts start at $80 no matter what the size. Thats what I'm doing this year. I think next year I am actually going to advertise one time cuts for people wanting their lawn nice for the 4th of July and work on the Saturday before and just charge a fiar price. I am hoping this will end up making me an extra couple grand.

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I guess our company does it. Not bad mouthing anyone - but I see that one time cut as a way for good-word of month, extra work, maybe lead into more since we were there for them. Most don't call on a Saturday afternoon either. Alot of one timers, wed - thursday asking to be put on our list to do. So a little extra money for me, guys have a few extra hours customer is happy - makes for an enjoyable weekend! Have a great 4th!

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with ya Precision, you have to draw the line somewhere and take a little time for yourself.

I always get the calls, the day before Thanksgiving, customers needed that "last second" leaf removal before the entire family shows up. They always wait til 2 or 3 in the afternoon to call...LOL

10. you want it "WHEN" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: