I Hate Text & E-Mail!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jan 25, 2011.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Rant! :gunsfirinThis biz would be SO much better without text and e mail. People would not say half the crap they do if they had to call or say it to your face. Everybody has all the courage when they're behind the computer or texting. Funny thing, if you break the unwritten rule and return a text with a phone call all of a sudden pricks are friendly as can be.
  2. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Not just the business, people in general. I think texting, email and even the phone sometimes aids in avoidance. People have a tendency to text or type something they wouldn't even consider saying to your face. I like the personal one on one type of communication.
  3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Never been an issue here but I guess that could change anytime but I actually prefer texting and email [3G Smartphone] with customers. Less disruptive vs. phone calls and I have a bit more time to think before I over commit to something without my schedule in front of me or have to run to my truck during a phone call, have to pull over [while driving] to take down their info etc.
  4. TheGoat

TheGoat LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with text and email is not what people say that they wouldn't say to your face.
    The problem is that most people today are incredibly poor communicators.

Text and email communication strips a conversation of it's depth. There is no tone of voice or body language to queue off of. The depth is lost so don't be to quick to take offence at typed communication, 99% of the time there is a nuance that is being missed.
  5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

you know I thought the same thing for a while! When your reading something, enterpretation is important. You cant take things the wrong way. I realize In black and white things can come across alot different than they would verbally. Since then I have realized, nope... they're just a-holes. Im not talking subtlety here. Im seeing stuff that certain people would just not say to me, behind that device its like theyre taking advantage of being able to say whatever they want. Maybe I just have alot of creaps I work for.
  6. Wecutgrass

Wecutgrass LawnSite Senior Member

i agree totally
  7. STL Cuts

STL Cuts LawnSite Senior Member

Well you are dealing with people from New York......
  8. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I love text and email. Especially texting. I wish I could get ALL my customers to text. It gives me so much more time to think about the situation and reply with a solid, beneficial solution, instead of having to come up with something quickly, and then think of a better way when it's too late.
    Posted via Mobile Device

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Its 2011, Like it or hate it its here to stay. I text my employees all the time in the evening when I think of something that needs done the next day. Or il forget to tell them.

Plus you have a recorded document of your converstation. And if there are any questions you can refer back to the words and settle any dispute.
  10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

My favorite email is Paypal's " you have money".
    Posted via Mobile Device