i hate the age card

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimslawncareservice, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

I hate when people try to use their age to get cheap or free services. A lady I did a fall clean up wants a spring clean up. I quote her and tells me I did the fall one for $50 which I know is not possible because I spent 2 hours there and also my program says differently. I don't like to turn away senior citizens but I just don't have the time to do work for cost or less. I have way more stuff to do this year than in the past. Sorry vent over.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Well, they should have planned for retirement better. Its a luxury service. I stopped discounts a while back it just got too out of hand. The other one I get is "I'm a single mother", again your life choices aren't my problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I just tell them Im old also.

4. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hard time with single moms. Pure kryptonite.

...unless they're standing there with a cig hanging out of their mouth, 300 lbs., sweat pants that haven't seen the washer in months, cheeto stains on her Tony Romo T-Shirt. Then... not so much.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

...unless they're standing there with a cig hanging out of their mouth, 300 lbs., sweat pants that haven't seen the washer in months, cheeto stains on her Tony Romo T-Shirt. Then... not so much.[/QUOTE]

In that case they aren't the only ones that made a poor life choice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

they also say they are on "a fixed income". :laugh:

every job out there that pays hourly or salary is on a fixed income as well.

7. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Exactly...

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

It's not an age card. They do it to everyone.

9. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm convinced that most of them who act poor have loads, but just don't want to give it up to a dang ole yard boy.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

that is a fact. i worked for a lady once. she was like i'm retired and on a fixed income and whatever and can only pay to get it mowed 1 time a month. i did as she wanted but it was a pain.

one day her neighbor talked to me and he told me how her son owned such and such business and they were loaded. she could've got her yard cut every week and paid double and been ok. luckily she sold the house and moved and i don't have to deal with that anymore.