I hate the first nice day.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 7, 2008.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

As much as I love the nice weather towards spring the first really nice day is a PITA! We typically still have a foot of snow on the ground this time for the past few years. Its been in the 50's and sunny for three days now, and the phone has been ringing off the hook of "when are you going to get here" or "Its so nice out I thought you guys would be here by now". My only responses is there isnt any garden centers open yet be patient!
  2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Garden Centers??? I buy all of my plants from a local nursery wholesale and all of my rock, brick, boulders and so on from a wholesaler in MO. Why are you buying things at your local Garden Center and paying retail??
  3. nobagger

from Pa

Well by saying "garden centers" I mean "places" we all buy mulch and plants etc. There are no wholesale places around here that just sell to landscapers, they give us a discount but Im sure its not at wholesale.
  4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya... Tonight (8:30 by the time I got home), I get home to a message from one old lady on my machine 'Matt, I havent heard from you still, Not sure if you still have me as a customer, sure would be nice if you'd call to let me know, I have lots of work that still needs to be done this spring' Still needs to be done this spring??? We've had 3 nice days, and its LATE?!? Last year I didn't pick up a rake until the last week of April. I've gotten 12 clean ups done already, not to mention all the plow damage I've fixed before cleanups!!!
    X <- Bang head here!!!
  5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

You guys, just not too long ago, someone complained business suck. Now too much business!!!! Heard of a phrase " burning midnight oil!!!!":laughing::laughing::laughing:

That's how life is, feast or famine!!!! When it rain, it pours!!!! You can't just turn them away, they just go to somebody else and once they found someone, they might drop you!!!!! So suck it up and be happy!!!!!
  6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Spring is tough because of trying to fit it all in.... BUT I LOVE IT when the phone rings!!
  7. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It rained all last week, so I'm catching up this week. It's working out pretty well, though. I just wish six months ago I knew the weather would be this way so I wouldn't have a dentist appointment tomorrow afternoon! I'm doing a spring cleanup before my first class tomorrow and after my last class, just before my dentist appointment. It's hard to fit it all in!
  8. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, tell me about it. Plow damage seems to be bad this year. The customer I worked at today said they were going to fire there plow guy, do to all the mess he leaves every year. I just laughed, hes in to lawn care also.
  9. nobagger

from Pa

Ok yeah I see your point about "new" customers calling, but I was referring to existing one's. One's who were screaming to be plowed out this time of year for the past 4 years.
  10. DeereHunterMF09

DeereHunterMF09 LawnSite Member

Always works that way for me too. Look on the bright side, your not in my boat trying to buy mowers, support two kids, and make a living while going through a divorce. Dentist & Spring cleaning doesn't look so bad. *trucewhiteflag*