1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I hate this kind of customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siclmn, Jun 11, 2005.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

Been doing this lawn for over a year and it is 80% weeds and clover. They hired me because I mulch and they are green people. I told them I would spray for weeds for free just so I could have the satisfaction of mowing grass instead of weeds. She says "I don't like chemicals in our yard and it might kill the birds" he says "I don't really see many weeds but could you do something about the moss?" I do the yard next to them and it is perfect. They don't see the difference. How can people be so blind?
  2. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I'd drop them unless I needed the money.
  3. ndunn

ndunn LawnSite Member

Send them to me! :)
  4. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have a yard where the front is pretty nice and the back is all weeds. The only reason that we do it is because we make $32.50 and we're in and out of there in about 15 minutes.
  5. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure your customers would really take you up on your service if you were honest and told them you weren't licensed to apply chemicals.

How can people be so blind is right :dizzy:
  6. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I'll bet this is the EXACT kind of customer who calls to complain when you missed one blade of grass with the trimmer!! These people always crack me up. Their lawn looks like crap and they're afraid to spend money on fert/water/ and pesticides. But the second you hurry over something, they call to complain. That's been my experience anyways.

I say keep cutting weeds. It looks nasty, it cuts nasty, but as long as the checks clear.......

Maybe there's another spin to put on this one:
    (only if you're willing to gamble with losing a customer)

Take the homeowner outside and point out the difference between his lawn and the neighbors. Explain to them that your best advertisement is the quality of work you provide, and you consider all of your customer's lawns as your own personal showcase. And, that when the neighbors see your truck parked in front of their weed-infested lawn, it gives your company a bad reputation and image, and that's not the kind of advertising we're interested in....... Here's the price for our weed control program.
  7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

if they are happy with thier lawn thats thier perogitive. I have a few customers like this and they like the clover etc. One lady says it looks more "natural" than a picture perfect lawn. Shes happy I cut it and it looks pretty decent. She likes having the edges cut clean and everything trimmed and blown off... 50 bucks in and out in 30 min. No way am i going to drop her.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

ha ha ha...I was buying some fertilizer the other day and I noticed a pallet of clover seed! I had a thought, buy the clover seed and then charge for killing the....nah. I better not.
  9. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

Give it a break! They do not want to use chemical fertilizer or weed products on their lawn. Simple. But you could do some research and help them to know what other ways they could take care of thier lawn.

First you have to be cutting too short. A tall grass will crowd out the weeds. But this does not happen overnight.

Second you could recommend they hand pull and start feeding with some organic products. Top Dressing is good too. Problem solved.

If a lawn is more than 50% weeds then recommend starting over. That is the best solution if they don't want the chemicals. Start new
  10. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Good one!!!