I hate this Privet hedge

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Darryl G, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Pics of a privet hedge I maintain and hate. The lady only has me cut it once a year. I started taking before and after pics but forget to get the final ones so there's only one in progress.

That's a beach association park next to it. It goes a lot easier since I bought that 8 foot step ladder. Little Giant Ultrastep, nice ladder. The chain link fence makes it a little tricky...not something I want to hit with my trimmer.

Misc Work 003.jpg

Misc Work 004.jpg

Misc Work 001.jpg

Misc Work 002.jpg
  2. Darryl G

Well, you can't really see the whole thing but how much to cut this and haul off the clippings? It extends maybe 20 or 30 feet to the left of the third pic to the lot line, about 100 linear feet total. About 6 hours and 3 cubic yards of clippings.

I feel I'm giving the lady a pretty good deal. Maybe too good because it's a real reach across parts of it even with extended clippers...wears me out. And gotta cut on her property, the park one and 2 others.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

does the 6 hours include cleanup? If so, $300 plus a $35 dump fee.
  4. Darryl G

Yeah, I billed $300 plus $42 dump fee. I'll tell you though, it's a lot of work for $300. Like I said, wears me out. Not a job I look forward to. It's been around $300 total in the past but it was a bit worse (taller) this last time.
  5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Every though about pruning it in the late fall or early winter when everything else has quieted down? Those things cannot be killed, loose their leaves and would be easier to clean up. You'd be happier and welcome the extra cash that time of year.
  6. Darryl G

Yeah but the feisty elderly lady only wants it cut once a year and if I did that it would be twice for the year. I've asked and been rejected before. The funny thing is she waits until it's totally overgrown before she'll let me cut it and then it's an emergency. She's not the easiest customer to deal with. I bite my tongue a lot, lol.
  7. djlunchbox

djlunchbox LawnSite Member

damn feisty elderly ladies.... we have a few of them. they do like to wait until the last minute for stuff. we try to get them used to our good work and the nice outcome, and then explain that we are doing this as a favor, and if she continues to wait until they get to this point, the price will go up. if you are worn out after doing just the hedges, then it seems like you should be getting paid more for the harder work. i'm finding the hardest part of this career is saying no to people who won't pay what the job is worth... then again.... who charges 400.00 to cut just one long hedge? i feel for ya man. i just cut a fair size chunk of my fall cleanup price because this elderly lady could not afford my regular rate. she was shaking all over the place when she answered the door this morning. i felt bad. this is a first time customer, so if it takes longer than 2 hours, we will not be doing it for this price again. ( still getting my leaf cleanup times down.)
  8. Darryl G

Yes, this hedge is about all I can handle in a day, which puts me under my daily financial goal really. It's really the height and width that makes it difficult. It's hard to get the center on the back portion of it, even with a ladder and extended trimmers...it's exhausting. I checked my records and it was 5 hours the previous time. It seems she always wants it done in mid June when it's hot out for that type of labor.
  9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Ever thought about using a PGR on them?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I see gas shears in the photos, but hand pruners, loppers and pruning saws all seem to be missing from the equation. Without the application of those missing tools, I don't think the problem can be solved properly. A three year renovation plan is in order, or at least a good one time thinning and removal of old growth. Barring her acceptance of that, I'd be inclined to refuse the work. By doing it this way, at her request I understand, you are just creating the monster it is.

Once renovated or thinned though, you should be able to make a couple annual shearings at much less cost to her.