1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I hate this!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rodbite, Jan 28, 2007.

1. rodbite

rodbite LawnSite Member

I have been living in NJ for two years now. I am from Central Florida and have a Lawn / Landscape background.

I have a small business here (Delivery Service) I work 30 hrs a week and Gross $1500. My wife makes $500 Gross per week. BUT we never have any extra money.....

I hate NJ i am so Tired of this. STRESSFUL, Expensive, and COLD.:cry: I would rather make less money as a solo guy cutting grass. I don't know the Lawn/Landscape business in NJ so i would never try here.

My wife thinks NJ sucks but she wants to stay because quote "It's easy to make money here" end quote.

Anyway just wanted to hear your thoughts.

We spend on average $150 a day on Food and Fuel.
  2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

is that because of your delivery service?

We probably spend less than $50 a day on food & fuel. it would be a lot less but i buy mostly organic food.

what part of the state do you live in?
  3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Yea you make more money but cost of living is higher. Go to the grocery store and buy sandwich meat. Crap I pay $10 for a weeks worth of deli meat for lunches. Stop eating out. Yogurt and cereal for breakfast, Sandwich and chips maybe some mac or potato salad for lunch and you can make a decent dinner for less than $30 for 2 at home.
  4. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Wow ... you spend $4500. a month on food and fuel ... and your net per month is around $6326. a month. After house payment or rent, and utilities ... no much left. You must eat out most of the time ... or driver a heck of a lot ... or both.

Glad I live in Indiana. I spend $60 a week in fuel and $50 - $70 a week on food.
  5. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

you need to move out here to the midwest...my wife spends no more than $80 per week at the grocery store (family of 5, one newborn though)...after eating out maybe $100 per week...I grossed 78K last year, so we're not poor...just watch your budget if you have one...and fuel is about 80 a week as well (she stays home with kids)...budget...
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think the problem in a nutshell is you're spending more than you're earning.
    So, set up a reasonable budget and stick with it, otherwise your living beyond your financial means will continue to haunt you regardless of income level.

Because $150 covers my food and fuel for a whole week.
  7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

What more is there to say? Your in NJ!!!!

Usually its the other way around, Jersey sucks so bad they all flee to FL. The natives cannot even stand to live there, so why on earth would anyone consciencelessly move there.

(now I will brace myself for the onslaught of Pro-Jersey posts from the jersey guys who are always right.....)
  8. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Cheaper -YES! But warmer? - NO!!

Yesterday we had a high of around 5 with 30mph winds.:dizzy:
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

just remember what I was always told when growing up, what good is money if your not happy with what your doing or where your living and your not making that much either for that area. Go back to Florida and be happy and if you cant make over $1500 a week doing lawn care somethings wrong it may take time but in couple of years you will make that and more. You couldn't pay me enough to live in the northeast.
  10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

im stayin in the south. I will take the heat over cold anyday