i hate those big commercial mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Oct 11, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a potential customer call me this evening and told me that she just let her current lc go because they have those huge mowers and are only in her yard 20 min before they are done and leave.apparently she dosent think she is getting her money worth. you know the " i am only getting 20 min work for $ xx.00 " deal. i am supposed to go there tomm. and give an est. but i dont know if i should take her on. she said she wanted me because i have a "regular mower". what do yall think ?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We charge $5 more to use the mower of their choice, no takers! But we stopped using our ZTR very quick we got several complaints so we are staying with the 36"hydr units. We bought a used Walker and we are trying to sneak into the properties and see if anybody complains. Since the Walker is smaller and not as loud maybe it will be okay.

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

do they want their lawn mowed or a slave for the day?

I don't do slave work, it's about speed and quality, not about how much she thinks you should be on per minute.

tell her to mow it herself, then see how much she thinks it is worth to get done professionally.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

She could have her choice

a 42" deck or a 60" deck

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

MAn that sux, are there alot of people like that in your area. Using a 36" would seriously limit the amount of accounts I can do in a day.

6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Let her know that you charge a min of $60/hr and bill in 30min increments only. Mam, I will be here as long as you want. How many hrs would you like me to put in my schedule?

7. befnme

i use a 48" husqvarna and a 48" scag.i am a little slower than most ztr with my tractor but my scag turns on a dime.i dont know if she will think i am too fast also or not.i guess we will see.

8. befnme

i use a 48" husqvarna and a 48" scag.i am a little slower than most ztr with my tractor but my scag turns on a dime.i dont know if she will think i am too fast also or not.i guess we will see. i think i am goint to buy a cub 22 horse 50 inch cut in march for next year and park my tractor except for aerating and seeding with it.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think I would run the other way hard and fast. I had 1 exp like that and most are older people that will tell you they worked all day for 25 cents. Like I said , been there done that aint worth it unless you are starving

10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you only do residential (less than 12,000 sq ft.) using a 36" mower. I use a 36" for small residential yards and ztr for big lots and up to several acres.