I hate when this happens.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Get Some..., May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's also his time. If he spent 20 minutes driving to and from, that's 20 minutes of wasted time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

leave a bill for the mowing--tell them that it could have been skipped this week as it had not grown very much-

Seriously- if you want to keep the customer tell them that you arrived today for the regular mowing that was agreed upon and discovered that it had been cut so you skipped the mowing and will be back in one week on the agreed upon day- I ask that customers notify me 24 hours in advance to mowing if they want to cancel to avoid paying the minimum $20 trip charge-

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

kills me you guys who think you can charge extra if there is dog poop in the lawn and now a trip charge? try this here in florida where the compotition is feirce

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

One of the truest comments I have read on here for awhile. You nailed it along with Diamond considering the time the guy spent driving to and from only to find the property had been serviced and if he had a helper the time he paid him each way.

5. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Exactly...1/2 hr + gas + aggravation....= at least $20.00. :)

Now I know that some of the lawn care folks around here dont charge that much for a half hour....but I do. :waving:

6. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

pretty fierce here in Texas...I don't have the problem due to mostly working on contract...but I write it into the contract that they need to call 24 hours prior to cancel otherwise they have to pay a trip charge...

any client that does that to me, I kinda write off as a scumbag especially if they fight me about the trip charge...let the next guy deal with them...
    The understood contract is...customers expect you to be there for the whole next year on a regular interval and then, you do your due dilligence to be there when expected and somehow they don't feel obligated to pay a trip charge? unbelievable-

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I had a few customers that would mow their lawn and then "forget" to let me know to skip a week, finally I told them as soon as my truck hits your property its $30 for my wasted time and wasted fuel. One found someone else and the other asked me to mow twice a week. Time is money and whether you drop the gate or not doesn't mean you don't have dollars invested into that trip IMO.

8. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Yup.

Looks like I should raise my "no mow" rates...:laugh:

9. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a $35 stop charge, which includes up to half an hour for 2 men unless its a contracted account or a warranty service from an install.

Gotta make money

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I would of ran the mower in the opposite direction and left my own stripes with the regular bill.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.