I hate when this happens.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Get Some..., May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

:drinkup:

2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Good suggestion but then you charge more because you are giving them them checkerboard stripes:dancing:

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Heh. Get this one.
    I picked up a client last season. He's a biweekly, but it's OK because his lawn really doesn't grow much.
    At the beginning of this season, I took a drive by and noted that it wasn't quite ready for the first cut. A few days later he called...

CLIENT:
    "Hey, thanks for cutting the lawn - it didn't really need it yet, but that's OK - I put your check out, but I see it's still here."

ME:
    I didn't cut it.

CLIENT:
    I thought that was odd that you'd cut it without calling, or leaving a bill after you cut... well, who the fnck cut it then?!!

ME:
    You got me. I didn't think you'd want it cut yet, so I was going to call next week.

CLIENT:
    Sonofabeotch... who the "bleep" cut my grass?!!! You know you're my man and I wouldn't hire someone else... what the... I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, but I want you to cut it in two weeks.

About two weeks later client calls

CLIENT:
    Those motherfnckers cut it AGAIN! I don't know who did it - no bill, or anything. I think they are supposed to be cutting the empty house next door!

ME:
    You need to put up a sign that says "DO NOT CUT THE GRASS!"

CLIENT:
    I apologize... I don't want you to be shorted - just come over next week and cut it even if it doesn't need it.

ME:
    No problem, see you then!

The following week

(OakNut drives up to client's house - AGAIN)

WTF???!!!

The whole lawn is DESTROYED! Fence broken, trees sheared off, tire tracks gouged into the lawn, car parts everywhere, half a windshield lying there... holy CRAP!

Apparently a drunk plowed through, flipping the car onto it's roof in the middle of his front lawn a day or two before I stopped by. I couldn't cut due to the debris and the fact that insurance would need to stop by to take pics and such.

I called him and said "If you don't want me to mow your lawn any more, just SAY so!" LOL!

Sheesh. At this rate it will be July before I get him cut!

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

:laugh: Loved this, made my day.

I really do not get the whole contract thing myself. What am I going to do, fight someone in court over 20 bucks if they do not want to pay?

I do my job and they pay. I get stiffed on first timers not my regular clients. I bill right away the first few times. I get to know the folks then start monthly billing.

5. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Yup time to take charge . I'm sick of the "oh i'm on social security and fixed income BS along with the "yeah i got out there with my push mower this week" BS Ya know what sorry Yer getting a bill for me showing up! Try that $h1t with the cable, phone or electric companies. Respect me or go fu% yourself ! You asked for the service, no pay up!

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Maybe that is why they did not call?

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Never mind. I changed the post.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  8. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

You feel better now:rolleyes: and when was the last time you budgeted your income for paying bills off a messly SS check?

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

This is what happens when you get certain folks stick a lawn mower in the trunk of their car and go driving around "looking," seems like they always end up targeting our accounts, some folks see nothing wrong with it but when it happens for the third time in the same day maybe you will see stars too, somehow the customer(s) see nothing wrong with it, they almost never call to let us know, the half of them lie about what happened (I am guessing this means they do know they did wrong by letting someone else mow it), I have lost accounts to these hacks because they tell the customer their regular Lco must not be doing a good job look at how tall the grass is (never mind I'm coming by in three hours), the customer later figures out their mistake but is too embarrassed to call me back, I have had folks let someone else cut it over a day (as in it's too long by Tuesday and I'm coming Wednesday but that's not soon enough but if I come Monday that's too soon or can I cut it lower or can I do it for $5 less), and honestly I'm going to cut this short but the list just goes on, and on.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  10. SSmith

SSmith Banned

This is why you have a contract. Even though the contract might not be worth much more than the paper it's written on, it will certainly deter people from doing this 99% of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.