I hate when this happens.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Get Some..., May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

The homeowner is a 45 year old single female physician.........

2. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

It's the risk one takes when starting a business. Acting like a fool will benefit no one in a situation like this, especially the business owner.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

When people tell me they're on a fixed income I ask them is they can fix mine for me.

4. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

Get Some... it's been about a week, have you heard anything back from your customer yet? What happened with the cutting of the lawn? We'd like to hear (positive or negative).

5. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

I take it you have never had to be on a per-determined income before.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sure and it has absolutely no bearing on the price I'm going to give you. Your fixed income isn't going to fix mine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of seniors will tell you that they're on a fixed income and can't afford things...what they don't tell you is that over a lifetime of being a tightwad they've managed to put away a fortune that they have tied up in CDs or whatever. Yeah, their expenses may be more than their current income, but they could live to be 150 years old and not spend all they have saved. And even if that's not the case, how is their lack of financial planning my problem? I do give seniors a break to some degree, but like someone else mentioned, the trade-off is that I get to the work when it's convenient for me. I used to give a 20% senior discount which in hindsight I think was too much. And it seems that everyone claims to be a "Senior Citizen" now....by some standards (AARP) I'm one now. My breaks go to the elderly, not able bodied "seniors".

Then there's the "single mom" card. I had one fall cleanup customer pull this one on me. While I'm there doing the cleanup her daughter pulls up in a Lexus, with Jersey plates on it. What she failed to mention was that her kids were grown up!

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

What do you think my income is?

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't care what your income is or what your age is. my price is what it is for EVERYONE.

10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

REALLY? Everyone is on a "fixed income." I make X and my wife makes X, together that is our income, and we live within that. We don't buy things we don't need or that we can't afford. If you are on a "fixed income" don't buy services you can't afford. I plow for some elderly people who are on SS. I charge them my minimum because they have worked all their life and don't have the means to take care of it themselves. That being said I run a business not a charity, if you can't afford me or my "crazy" :dizzy: trip charge pick up the phone and call the next guy, there are plenty of hacks willing to work for free but not this guy :waving:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.