I have 30K in start-up money

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by OMC.INC, Sep 7, 2004.

1. OMC.INC

OMC.INC LawnSite Member

I have 30k in start-up money but not sure what kind of walk behinds to buy?

any ideas ?
  2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

With 30K you should be able to buy a clue?! What size of mower do you need? What type of yards are you doing? How much do you want to spend? There are many companies that will allow you to "test drive" their mowers for a week. That would be the best idea, let you know what kind you want. There is also a search function, search for "best mower." You should get several 1000 results. Sorry for the attitude, but thats kind of like asking what kind of car do you think I should buy, without knowing what my interests are, how much I want to spend, what my main objectives are and so on. I think you will find the search function to come in very handy!
  3. mowjoeman

mowjoeman LawnSite Member

If I had your start up, I would would look into tree work! since you don't know and have to learn from the Get Go, If I could start over I would look Into Tree work? You should be able to start off with good equipment if you do your home work? and tree work pay$ very well, leave enough for insurance though, and get somebody who can teach you the business and pay him well to teach you - 6 months - Yr? Hopefully your not afraid of heights? if so, you pay a climber, and take good care of him too! since you want to get dirty I can't think of a better way to earn a living, I do as much Tree work as I possibly can, but bought a turn key Lawn Business. Good Luck!
  4. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

don't ya love when someone says they have 30k to start lawn service :angry:

I'd love to have that kind of extra cash..

Hey, why don't you invest it in military companies - if bush is re-elected he'll make you lots of money payup
  5. OMC.INC

OMC.INC LawnSite Member

Sorry guys after reading a lot of the posts (which I should have done at first) I realized what an ignorant ? that was.
  6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

It takes a real man to make a post like that. Use the forum for good, not evil! It can be a great tool if used correctly. I think I spent a good 3 monthes reading before I ever really make a post or became a member.
  7. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

$30,000 and you are asking about a walkbehind???!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!!?

Try buying a nice 21", a 52" Exmark Z HP, two Redmax 8000's, Stihl trimmers and edgers, a nice 12 ft dual axle enclosed trailer, about $2,000 in advertising and put the remainder $16,000 + or - in a money market account. At least put $3000 in a Roth IRA and then buy Google stock with the rest... :drinkup:

If you really have $30,000 why dont you put it on a down payment on a house and get in the real estate biz? I heard they make lots of money...
  8. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

By the way Dr Sogr I almost became a Jay Hawk, cool campus in Lawerence (i know i butchered the spelling-sorry), I especially loved that yellow sub shop, cannot remeber the name.... but great sandwich....
  9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Put 1/2 that in the bank or an ira or something. You shouldnt start with that much money, too much overhead. Get a lazer, or a walker, depending on if your lawns are small(walker) or wide open(lazer). Buy the best weedwhacker and blower, ones that will hold up. Get a 14x7 open trailer, and spend 2-300 on hand tools and barrels. I dont know if I should assume you have a truck. Buy a new or modern diesel with under 100k miles. Thats all, and advertise, go door to door even (if you arent grubby looking)
  10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Yep I agree. If you think you'll have a variety of sizes for lawns I'd get a 52" commercial ZTR, 33-36" hydro walk behind, a trim mower, a good commercial trimmer (lots of options out there), and a powerful backpack blower (Echo,Redmax), a good sized trailer (open or enclosed), few hand tools such as pruners, loppers, etc., stick edger, and a leaf collection system.

Make sure that when you get your equipment that you have GOOD dealer support. Don't worry about saving $25 or $100 if it means you'll get better support, down time sucks and a good dealer could save you more $$ in the long run.