I have a 60 lazer, What is faster??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Jun 9, 2006.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I have a 60 lazer 25 HP kohler,it is a 98 model in great shape. I just landed a 40 acre job that is wide open in alot of areas how much faster is a modern lets say a Hustler super. Do 72s cut worth a darn? I do have 26 inch tires on my lazer so it is faster than stock. I am in Florida can a Hustler cut good a 15 MPH thanks
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

IMO, no mower will leave a good cut at 15 mph, I dont give a rip whether it is a dixie chopper, exmark XS or hustler super Z. The 72 will be faster if you get a large enough engine mounted on it. Go for the diesel option if you can afford it or get the large gasser. 72's will cut just fine if the area is FLAT, wide open is a plus but the turf must be flat or the 72 will scalp. For 40 acres you are going to need more mower than a 60/25. Good luck
  3. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

My 72 scalped if you looked at it wrong.:rolleyes: (on the highest possible setting)
    A 11 foot gang mower behind a 35 HP compact tractor would make sense.
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a Super Z 28EFI/60 and yes, if the ground is flat and smooth enough and you're not taking off more than a couple of inches of growth it will mow and look good at 15 mph. However, we're getting ready to go into the rainy season and by July you'll have to slow down. Top speed will probably be around 8 - 10 mph in the summer. If you have 40 acres to mow then I'd be looking at the diesel. I've owned 2 Super Z's and can tell you that dealer and factory support are the BEST in the industry!!! I've been mowing since 1989 and owned many mowers and the Super Z's are the most productive machines I've ever owned.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You're going cut 40 acres with a single 60" or 72" ZTR????? ;)
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You need more than a single 72" or a couple for that matter to do 40 acres. If you want to do it in a day. 40 acres will make a 60" or 72" feel small real quick. Hell my 60's feel small on a 5 acre place.

If you don't have multiple sites like this, the only option I can see is getting 3 72" ZTRS with like a 5 man crew so you can knock it out. THis way you can use the ztr's on all your other accounts. A WAM is out of the question for one site.
  7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Realslow, Do 26 inch tires fit on a regular Lazer Z? That's a great idea.
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

It will take a while. We can cut 4 1/2 acres in under 40 min's using a 60" and a 72"

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Yes the 26 Inch tires will fit and all you have to do is realign the deck but they do tear the turf a little more. At this moment I have a 60 inch exmark and custom built hydro midsizes for doing the retention areas. Alot of ditch areas.

I have several 61 52 and 48 hydro midsizes, I find when I modify them with 20 and 22 inch tires or a dual wheel kit they kick butt with a lesco velke. I only have 1 rider because on all my other properties I prefer the cut of the Hydro midsizes and because I do alot of (can't get people to do it right and I am fat and need exercise) the ground work myself and put the guys on the mowers so I do not invest in fancy mowers!
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler claims the Super Z has a top transport speed of 15mph and cutting speed of 10mph. Thats the info they sent me.