I have a customer who seems to think its to late to plant.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by General Grounds, Oct 1, 2006.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:hammerhead: I have a customer whom is contracted to do a landscape install, weve been delayed and are scheduled and loaded for tom. customer claims that this is not the time to plant, ive been planting this time of year for 12 years with fantastic results, customer now wants an extended warranty because "many" people claim this is not a good season. But july- August is go figure, i guess customer knows best. tony
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

dont let him try to get one over on you youre the expert here and no more of a warrenty than you usually give if you even give one we have planting scheduled for the next 2 weeks and still have an acre of sod to lay sometime soon
  3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:rolleyes: Oh yeah i almost forgot i thought i was the one with the degree in horticulture and landscape desisgn & maintenance.
  4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I would just ad a stipulation into the contract that states if for any reason the plantings fail to thrive do to the time of year planted that they will be covered but the warranty timeline stands as stated. And you know that it is a good time of year to plant so you should have no unexpected results.
  5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Most guys in my area warranty their plants through the first winter. If that is the case with you, there is no practical reason to extend the warranty due to it being late in the year.

If your warranty is less than 6 months, I could see the guy having a point.

There is no reason to think that if there is a consequence to be paid by planting late that would not show up by late spring. If things are fine in late spring, failure to survive later on would have nothing to do with planting late the year before.
  6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a great time to plant, hell Lowes even has tags on all of there srubbery stating fall is foe planting.
  7. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Fall is not only the best time to plant, it is the only time I will plant certain plants, like evergreen trees. Tell your customer to get another opinion about planting times, have him call a nursery, botanical garden helpline, or anyone who knows horticulture. If he hears it a couple times he will believe it. As for the "many" people claim this is not a good season, he is just making that up or talking with people with black thumbs.

One problem with fall planting is that in my area we have had some winter droughts. No problem if you water but most customers will not water in cold weather.

I do not guarantee my plantings, in fact I tell them the only thing I can guarantee is that one day they will die.
  8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending where you are, there is some validity to the story that planting late in the year has cosequences. It is especially true for evergreens, especially broadleafed evergreens. It is only the first week of October, so there are not too many places that are there yet.

The problem is that if the root ball and the soil surrounding sometimes does not get a chance to establish a good interface that will allow water to transfer from the surrounding soil into the root ball and the roots might not get enough growing time to extend out of the rootball into the surrounding soil. Evergreens lose moisture over the winter and need to replace it. When that is interupted or disrupted as described, the plant dries out and desicates. It is particularly common when there is mild fall weather that turns quickly to winter. I got caught on this several years ago and have seen it happen a few times since.

Again, it is not yet late fall.