I have a dream....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have a dream.... that someday we can do something to improve our industry.

I'd like to start a National Certification Program...
    One that's fundamentally sound with a board of representatives from all states.

Turf, Landscape, Hardscape, Irrigation.... maintenance, installation, design, build.
    And also 'something more' when it comes to pest management.

Certified Professionals...
    Something real... a real certification you can advertise and put on your business cards, etc.

Of course there would be the educational aspect, the certification testing, etc, and of course it would cost some money for that.

I'd like for it to cost little enough for the common person to afford, yet turn such a profit as to allow for 'campain advertising' to raise public awareness to drive home the point of making sure the public thinks about contracting a "certified" service provider.

What do you guys think about such an idea?
  2. britsteroni

britsteroni LawnSite Senior Member

Great idea, but I don't see it happening in the near future.

My dream is that every "LCO" would be legit... license, insurance, tax payer, etc.

Both ideas would give this industry more credibility!
  3. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

I like the idea.

$99.00 a year to be member. Times, say 20,000 members. POOF no more lawns to cut! LOL

Send your checks to me! I will send out your new certification! You can use it in all of your advertisments!
  4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

To an extent certifications already exist. Just not regulated by the state. Personally I dont need the state sticking their nose into my business already more then they do.
  5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it would be great. I've thought along those lines before since plumbers and electricians have to be licensed and certified. Even construction contractors like my father have to be. But there isn't much that a landscaper is required or should do. In the maintenance industry your not building things so you don't have to have permits for installations and be licensed to build structures. it would be more valuable for the LCO's that do installs, irrigation, and hardscaping.
  6. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I for one think this would be a great Idea.

I am so sick and tired of seeing the fly by night company's in this town we need a way to weed them out!!

But the only way this would work is if ALL states where on bord with your idea and that will probably never happen, maybe they will come up with there own.
  7. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

On the one hand, I think it would be nice is be rid of those who undercut and do rotten jobs. But I would not want the government meddling in our business affairs any more than they already do.
    The government really doesn't need to interfere in the operation of capitalism, the principle of supply and demand.
  8. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Its a very interesting idea and it makes me think . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

What he is recommending is not a government idea. Its an idea similar to National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. Or ASE for short.

It is a good thing for the automotive service industry. That is also an industry that should have more government regulation, but thats for another thread.

10. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

I think it is doable. It's something that I been thinking since I got in the business this year.

However, I see it as a regional development more than national. Conditions in Atlanta are very different than in Seattle (soils, types of turf, irrigation systems, pests, and obviously weather), so a regional approach would be more appropiate.

I would think the most important aspect would be the ability to promote the industry and start changing people's perception about it.

I do disagree with making it "affordable". I think certification should be a test of someones desire to seriously do this for a living and a barrier to those that think "its just cutting grass". I'm thinking around $300 to $600 depending on the areas of certification.

Thank you for bringing this up Envy. It's a subject that we should all discuss.