1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I have a lawn guy..... BUT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Apr 10, 2008.

Will you give an estimate?

1. I have too much work as it is, I surely won't do this job.

9 vote(s)
  2. I'll give an estimate on almost every call I get, so ya I'll go take a look

51 vote(s)
  3. I'll call her back and give her the name of a competitor.

1 vote(s)
  4. Gas is too expensive to waste my time on this estimate.

6 vote(s)
  1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How many times have you gotten this type of call.

Came home today to find a message on the machine.

"Hi I'm calling to have my yard cleaned up. The leaves need raked up and a wall needs straightened. I have a man that cuts the lawn but he does not do anything else. And I have to have my yard cleaned up. Thank you."

So my first thought is this: How can you cut grass, but not clean up the leaves? That there doesn't make sense unless these leaves are somewhere where there isn't any grass. Secondly, is this really going to be worth our time? I can tell by the call that the lady is older, I can just bet this wall probably fell over 20 years ago, and now she is deciding to get it "fixed." And I use the term "fixed" loosely.

Anyhow, do you take on this type of work that the "other guy" doesn't do?
    Who knows maybe the other guy doesn't want to do it, because it's crappy work.

SO... do you go on the estimate?
    Just making conversation here, i'll set it up as a poll.
  2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Depends on how far I would have to drive. The wall work might make it worth doing if she is willing to pay for it. I agree the cleanup part sounds shady, but you never know. Within 20 miles I go look. Any more I kindly decline.

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

If you have time, do it! If you do go bid it and aren't feeling it jack up the price and its a win win situation: A. She doesn't take it and you don't do the work. B. She takes it, and you make a killing off her! Shoot maybe you can even take over for her "Lawn Guy". Just my .02 cents!!!
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i guess you could call it an opportunity to sell yourself. i prefer jobs that fall in my lap because i'm lazy but every now and then i'll sell myself. could end up with the mowing too. if its close by, i'd take a look at it. whats 30 minutes of your time worth?
  5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i normaly dont turn away work enless i look at it and go ya i dont wanna do this. but then again its why i started my own company so i get to call the shots. i am the hardest working guy i have. and when i look at something and go ya that dosent look fun. i know my guys wont wanna do it. so enless the person is handing me a bag of cash no thanks
  6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have gotten a few lawns this way. Go in, do the work, and sell them on how convienent it woulf be to do everything with one person. Not everyone bites, but some do.
  7. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I get those calls all the time for trim work..I get the call that says. I have a guy that mows my lawn but he "dont do any trimming" how much would you charge. I just go out and price it to the tee for everything and they can take it or leave it!
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

hmmm, my option isn't in there...

Can I do it for free?
    ya just kidding, kinda, maybe not really :laugh:
  9. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

They normally cut their own grass but for some reason don't want you to know that, and they are way too lazy for the fall and spring cleanups so they hire out for that stuff and use their wally world mower every other week throughout the summer. I get these folks all the time. They think its demeaning to them if you were to know that they actually mowed their own lawn even though we do it all day long.
  10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

First off, I only advertise within a mile of my own house. That makes it worthwhile to at least look at, but the scenario you created is borderline at best. She sounds like a moron, and she would never go for my one time cleaup price anyway.

I would call her back and get more info. Ask who does her ferts and squirts. Ask her why she would have a guy that just mows and does no cleanups. My guess is that the last thing I would say to her is " When you want a full service company, call me back. Thank you for the call."