I have a pricing question....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Signature Services, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Signature Services

Signature Services LawnSite Member

I was reading another post and thought of this question about pricing. The $1/one minute comment I guess is about mowing only. What do you guys charge for other services? How about a list of things I can think of....

Debris removal
    Hedge trimming
    Planting annuals
    Round Up/Chemicals

Anything else I forgot?
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

The $1 per minute applies to cut, trim and blow I believe.

To search the archives?
  3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

In those minute "quotes" what about materials needed and used i.e. chemicals,annuals,plants, etc. Each job is different in every aspect, no two jobs are the same.I factor in drive, tax,acoountant, insurance,equipment used,rented,extra helper,where my supplies are etc etc...No matter what I make it's a nice profit for myself and uncle sam:D
  4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

The $1 per minute rule applies to maintainence not installs or applications. Do to material costs of chemicals, plants,etc., the total would be way over $1 per minute. Cant really do installs/chemicals based on that formula. Ex. You have 3 lawn at 6K sq. ft each side by side. You apply fert to 3, lets says a minimum $ at 37.50, with one $10 bag. How long does it take? Less than an hour. How much did you make? $112.5.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The $1/1 Minute Rule does indeed apply to maintenance (mowing, trimming, and blowing off) of a property. That aspect of the business is probably the most common "denominator" for all us LS members.
  6. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

For anything other than mow/trim/blow, I figure out the materials cost, then figure out how long the job will take. Multiply the time with my hourly rate for that type of work (typically for me it's between $40 and $60 an hour). Add that total to the materials. I have my overhead figured into my hourly rate for a given type of work as far as equipment needed, etc ahead of time. That way when I'm giving an estimate I only have to adjust slightly for drive time, etc and I'm there. Haven't been doing this long, but that seems to be working so far. I'm making good profits so it works for me. First 2 landscape jobs paid off my mower! The first people asked for more work to be done - should pay off my trimmer and edgit!
  7. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

The 1$/min is a good rate for a solo operator. This is a labor charge that should include your equipment costs, and business expenses, but not material costs. If you are charging this rate, you need to be able to command this price by being knowledgable in your field, and having the proper equipment to be efficient.
  8. 0money

0money LawnSite Member
    from Around

If it takes you an hour to do a small residential yard by your self there not going to pa y you $60.00 dollars.
  9. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Ok so you say $1 a min but some guys say a 2 man crew can do a yard in 10 to 15 min . But most of you guys say you don't drop the gate for less then 25 how do you get the $1 a min ?? I'm not saying its wrong but on a small yard that takes 10 min i would think you are paying out of pocket for it .
  10. 0money

0money LawnSite Member
    from Around

Better yet why should you get paid to drive to and from a job if you worked for some one they wouldn't pay you for that.