1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I have a problem with my ramp and mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Neophyte, May 15, 2008.

1. Lawn Neophyte

Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member

My ramp is too steep. Everytime I ride the mower down, the bottom scrapes the hinges of where the ramps connects to the trailer. How can I fix that?
  2. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

I bolted a 2 x 4 to the bottom of the ramp to make the angle better. Works.
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Put a taller hitch on your truck and raise the tongue. If its a walk behind mower you can wheelie it.
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I load and unload the mower at an angle. It helps.
  5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

ya my enclosed i keep high on the hitch. the open we keep pretty much dead level but with the tiger we still have to push the deck lift all the way up or it would rub. or get a longer ramp
  6. mowtivated lawn Care

mowtivated lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Bust out a welder and make the gate longer or bolt some wood extension from the hinge area to whatever length you need to make the angel. It may not look the best but it works and keeps you from tearing things up which is the most important things.
  7. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

thats the best and cheapest way to do it.next time get a longer ramp.
  8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

your hitch should be 21 or 22" from the ground.if you start messing with it you are asking for trouble.
  9. Lawn Neophyte

Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member

How does one "bolt" a wooden board to a metal ramp? Explain please.
  10. AustinLawnscape

AustinLawnscape LawnSite Member

Your problem is caused by too steep and angle between the back of the trailer & the tailgate.

My trailer has a jack on the tongue. I use the jack to lift the front of the trailer while still hooked to the truck. It lowers the back of the trailer so the ZTR mowers drive on & off w/o a problem. Provided the deck is raised all the way. My Scag walk behind still drags but not as severely.

Other answers are get a dove tail trailer or have the end of the gate cut, welded & braced at an angle to give the same effect as a dove tail trailer.

Laid out your tail gate looks like this -------- after the modification it would look like this -------\. The illustration isn't a perfect representation but should give you the idea. - Ed