I have a problem.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ShawnD, Sep 4, 2004.

1. ShawnD

ShawnD LawnSite Member

I am trying to get a Orbit rain sensor to work with a Toro Greenkeeper control box. The control box says not to water when it is dry out and water when it rains. The button on top of the Orbit rain sensor allows it to water when it is pushed down. It does not water when it is up. This is totally back wards.

Any ideas?

2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

spend $15 on a toro rain switch and move on to the next job...too much time spent figuring this one out...install the toro rain switch and move on.

just my .02

brian

3. dbielawski

dbielawski LawnSite Member

There are 3 wires leading from the sensor. Make sure you do not have a wire from the Normally Open ('NO') wire connected to the sensor.

4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

^ do what this guy said..

5. ShawnD

ShawnD LawnSite Member

Well, there are 3 wires. Silver and gold in clear plastic and a blue wire. I have connected the silver and gold. I am supposed to use the blue wire?

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you wet the sensor to test it? If you did then the fiber wafers have absorbed the moisture, expanded, and split the circuit like it is supposed to do. This will cause the button to be up. As it dries out, or when you push the button in, it re-establishes the circuit and allows watering. Let it dry out or make the setting bigger - say 1" iinstead of 1/8" That should let it work.

Jerry

7. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I would recommend the Irritrol Wireless rain sensor. It takes 5- 7 minutes to install and there are no wires to snake through ceilings, Ect.
    Make sure the little pin swithc for Sensor in the greenkeeper is moved to the on Position.
    Connect yellow and white to sensor input, connect the 2 reds to 24 Volt AC, screw the reciever box onto the wall and clip the sensor onto the gutter .

8. dbielawski

Use the clear coated wires.

9. dbielawski

Wet absorbant discs in the sensor will cause the button on the top to be DOWN, not up. Jerry has it backwards.

10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

From the Orbit site showing how to test the unit.

http://www.orbitonline.com/files/manuals/57098english.pdf

Operation Check to Verify Correct Wiring Turn on one zone of the sprinkler system that is visible while you are in reach of the rain Sensor. Manually depress the spindle at the top of the rain sensor until you hear the switch "click" off. The sprinkler zone should stop instantly. If it does not, check
    wiring for correct installation.

So, that would seem to me that the button will be "UP" when the wafers are full.

Jerry