I have a question for all you walker mower guys?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JABBERS, Feb 21, 2008.

1. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm looking at getting the model T with either the 26hp efi or the 31hp efi. I'm looking at getting a pickup deck along with either the 62" or 74" side discharge deck. How well do these mowers mow with the SD decks? Are they as easy to change as they say? I'm just looking for info on this years new mower purchase. Thanks

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I think the 26 will be enough for you. I have not tried the new 52ghs deck but have heard this is the way to go. I have a 48 and 42 deck and yes to me they are pretty easy to change. Sorry but I have never used a SD deck on this mower so no help there. Two things I will recomend is a upgraded seat {the stock seat inhales hard} and purchase the big hole screen for wet mowing. If you are dumping the debris into the back of a truck or into a bin I would recomend the high dump. I love my Walker can't wait to try out the super-b mowing. I drove one around a field and loved it.

3. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

I have the 26 efi and that is enough power for using the 48" collection deck. I demoed the new 52" collection deck last year and my only concern with it was when the deck did become plugged it was difficult to clear the clogg, I heard from my dealer that they are going to address this on the updated 52" collection deck.

4. JABBERS

from Ohio

Does anyone know how these bigger SD decks mow and handle with the 26 HP efi?

5. njones

njones LawnSite Member

i have the 31hp 48 inch ghs love it getting another this spring with the 48 ghs deck my dealer had a demo 52 ghs it would plug in wet grass because they change the rotation of the blade the 48 ghs one blade turn clock wise the other turn counter clock wise the 52 turn clock wise buy the intake i mowed with the 74 inch deck liked it real well did real nice job but it is a lot slower then my 60 inch gravley

6. JABBERS

from Ohio

How slow is it njones? About half speed? Which of yours would cut the same wide open area the fastest. The Gravely or the Walker with 74" deck. I'm also looking at the 62" deck also. Anymore info. would be helpful. Thanks

7. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you getting it from? Emmett? I had a 26hp EFI Walker, sold it because my properties got a lot larger last year. The biggest I ran on the machine was a 52" SD deck so I can't help to much. Def. get the larger hole screen and some extra shear bolts and pins.

8. njones

njones LawnSite Member

the gravley is faster but with the walker 74 you only have one power unit one payment thats why i am going to run three this year two walkers and the gravley plus i mite buy the 74 just to see

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I think it takes more power to bag the grass than to SD.

You would probably be fine with a 26hp and the bigger decks.

DEMO them on your properties.

10. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

I have mowed with both and they both mow wonderful. I have about 2000 hours on my 62 and it still is an awsome deck. I have not used a 74 as much, but it was awsome as well. The only problem with that big of deck is that it doesn't work as well in hilly areas. 74" is a wide deck and not all ground is flat enough or contoured right for that dude.