I have a question!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sheshovel, Apr 14, 2007.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Why are there so many people taking on work that they have no idea what to charge for doing it? There are so many price/charge questions it is really becoming worrisome. I know they come here for answers and that is fine, but many don't even know what factors to consider in pricing jobs at all. I think they need to use their brains a bit before asking anyway. Just my thoughts.

2. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

Some of us have not been doing lawns and landscaping very long so, knowing how to price properly is not an easy task. I usually do a search over the 3 forums I use and find the answer. Asking someone who isn't in your area will only give you a small clue but, seems better than going to you local competition and asking them. They may steer you in the wrong direction to keep you out of business. That's why we / I ask pricing questions of the members here.
    just my .02

Darrin A.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I know guys that were charging WAY to little until they started educating themselves on this site. That is partly how I learned what to charge. Its better to do that than to work for a fraction of what you could charge. That hurts you and others by driving down prices.:usflag:

4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

While it is true that a price comparison has its place as one of many factors in determining what to charge for our services , I don't really care what other providers charge . I must charge commensurate with my cost of doing business - that is why you see the comments from the senior members of the site and I can understand their frustration - you got to charge based on your costs and this will determine what customers can afford your services . I would be far more likely to help a person who asks how long it would take than how much should I charge.

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Youpe silly.

6. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

how long would it take to do that job=total hourly rate
    total hourly rate+materials+rental+delivery+sales tax(if applicable)=grand total

figure out all of the above and its pretty easy

example-
    20hr @ $50=$1000
    $1000 materials
    $300 rental fees
    $200 delivery
    $2500 total

job profit=$1000

7. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I thought i knew what to charge too. I started reading a book thougth that i got at borders which is a textbook for a college course on landscaping. It's like principles of landscape contracting. This book has everything. And they got all the info from top companies like Brickman, so you know it's true.

adam

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

What many hate to hear......it comes with experience.

I look back and wonder why the heck did I charge that and man was I cheap/stupid. Sometimes I can look back at the job I just completed and think that but as more time goes on I will continue to improve upon pricing.

Then when I think I've got it down the complexity/diversity will increase and I will still have late nights of pulling my hair in front of a computer screen.

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It comes down to knowing how much YOU can get away with charging.It should be as much as possible to get the highest return over time. That has much less to do with your overhead and way more to do with your skill level, how well you are known, your market, and how much you know about your market.

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I always ask my friend CT what price I should charge. :drinkup: :hammerhead: :dancing: