I have a Toro Lawn Mower that won't Start. Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dealclipper, Dec 15, 2013.

1. dealclipper

dealclipper LawnSite Member

I have a Toro push Lawn Mower that I bought back in April. I tried to start it last month and it wouldn't start. I put fresh gas in it and the oil looked good. I couldn't find a gas primer bubble so I am lost. I need some feedback to get it started. Please help!

andy:dizzy:

2. GreenGuysLC

GreenGuysLC LawnSite Senior Member

did it set since april without being ran?

3. dealclipper

No I had it sitting for about 3 months

4. GreenGuysLC

GreenGuysLC LawnSite Senior Member

Just putting fresh gas in tank wont fix it if the gas sat for three months. It has quite possibly sat and clogged the jets in carb. a good carb cleaning may be needed. Todays fuels are horrible on small engines .. if it is gonna sit for months you need to introduce a stabilizer into your fuel or drain it completely.

5. dealclipper

Is the stabilizer sold in hardware stores or like a wal-mart?

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

yes ... how do some people even find lawnsite.com? :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

7. dealclipper

LOL. I just came across this site on google somehow. BTW I am not a landscaper.

8. Man, what's the model no. of the product you are using from toro? And is it a lawn tractor or walk power mower ? Please mention details. I have given to one of my team members from jims mowing to use this. He also faced the similar problems with toro walker and re-selling was the last option. And we did the same? But purchased same brand again as it is a trusted one.

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

Try this for starters: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

10. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

change out the air filter, leave it out and start it with some quick start, which is a backwards way of cleaning out the carb- let in run a little then put in the new air filter. I have had several of these toro, this is the only one i have had trouble starting and it always falls back to the air filter.