I have a trailer question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerman41, Nov 30, 2012.

1. mowerman41

mowerman41 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 7x16 open trailer I have to replace the wood deck due to 2 boards rotting in parts. My question is when I replace the wood obviously am going to use preside treated but would it be smart to put a couple of coats of something like a Thompson water seal. To hopefully repel some of the moisture that is rotting these boards?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. mowerman41

Pressure treated
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Waste of money and time. The treated lumber should last 15+ years.

4. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, the wood is not in constant contact with moisture. You don't need additional wood preservative.

5. patrick6411

patrick6411 LawnSite Member

Treated is the way to go. What I did/do.

6. badbart

badbart LawnSite Member

I bought my 16x7.5 trailer new in 1996. The non-treated lumber they used lasted all of two years. I put pressure treated 2x6's in it in 1998 and it's still holding strong, even in this Florida heat and humidity. I don't keep it under a shelter either. I don't understand why the trailer builders don't use treated wood to begin with. It's only a few dollars more and they would get a reputation that would bring business to them!?

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 3 trailers 9 10 and 11 years old all is untreated all stay out side and all 3 are sound. Keep the leaves and other debris off them and keep the spaces between the boards clear and you shouldn't see any rot.

8. mowerman41

Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I put 2 coats of preserver on mine just for extra protection...it doesn't take long or cost much
    Posted via Mobile Device