I have a weed/grass that I can NOT get to go away (picture inside!)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Threxx, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Well here's the situation. I have a hybrid bermuda lawn in the Memphis, TN area. I just recently had some Palisades Zoysia sod layed down to where it will take over my lawn over the next 3 years or so.

This grass is neither of those. In fact you can see that my grass is still largely dormant, but this grass/weed is completely green and has been growing healthily for the last month or so.

I make a weed killer concoction made with a bunch of stuff I bought at the local lawn supply store including Image, manage, MSMA, 2,4-D, and some weed-b-gone too since I had some laying around.

It didn't even remotely phase this weed/grass... killed every other weed in my lawn but this stuff didn't even turn a lighter shade of green - it just kept on growing like nothing happened.:cry:

I have one potential theory... I had a very shady area that I planted some sort of seed in last year - unfortunately I don't remember what kind of seed it was, but just that it said on the bad it did very well in extreme shade areas. The grass that I grew in the shade there looks very much like this grass - I just can't imagine how it would have spread so far across my lawn in only one season.

Of further interest is my dad, who lives 10 miles south of me said he's had a problem with this exact stuff for several years now.

I have a few more pictures from further away if anyone needs a more pics to be able to tell what it is...

2. Clevelandturfgrass

Clevelandturfgrass LawnSite Member

I would say that is Tall Fescue. You need a product like TFC or while you Zoysia is dormant spray glyphosate
  3. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply!

If it isn't tall fescue but some other fescue variety, would TFC still take care of it? I have some glyphosate in the form of round-up at the house... - you think it would be OK for spot treatment? I mean none of the fescue is where the zoysia is because the zoysia was just planted less than a week ago, but it's everywhere that the hybrid bermuda is - would glyphosate not kill the hybrid bermuda? It's still largely dormant but not entirely. I don't mind if I stunt its growth, I just don't want to kill it outright.

By the way, what about a product called Atrazine? I did a quick search and found some mention of that as a way to kill fescue in general without killing bermuda or zoysia, but I wonder if it works as well as it seems it might?

Thanks again for the help.

4. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

From what I can tell the grass you are dealing with is fescue. I would spot treat w/glysophate and by the middle of may the bermuda will have creeped back in. One thing I have done in the past is after the area has died out cover the bare spot with some dark colored natural fert. (milorganite, nature safe). This will increase your soil temps. and fertility and allow for a quicker recovery. Just communicate to the homeowner what you are doing if this is one of your client's yards. I would stay away from the zoysia with the glysophate if you don't have a problem in it since it is quicker to come out of dormancy.

5. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

OK it might be worth noting that if this is, in fact, the same grass as I planted in the shady area last year, that last year when I sprayed Princep fall pre-emergent (largely composed of simazine), that this grass seemed to be seriously hurt though it didn't die out completely. I almost wonder if I used princep in a tank and spot-treated the grass with a couple of applications, how well that might work? Oh well... just an idea. Maybe I'll mix roundup and princep and make a ultra potent concoction.:D
  6. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

It looks a little like green kyllinga. Does it have a trianglar stem?
  7. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

It's fescue, no doubt.

8. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Simazine is also a post emerge for cool season grasses so that should convince you even more that it is fescue. The round-up simazine mix is a good tank mix to spray in January over the whole yard to get rid of any cool season grass. Just spray the round up at a low rate (11oz./acre). Did this at the golf course every year just be sure you stay 15ft. away from any disirable cool season as Simazine travels in the soil. This may be your best option if you don't control it this summer.
  9. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Just mix some diesel fuel in with all those other chemicals you used before. Then light a match and your problems are over!!!
  10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can get your hands on some Revolver, that would knock it out with no harm to your Bermuda.