I have a ?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by R1rider, Aug 19, 2004.

1. R1rider

R1rider LawnSite Member

Well I bought a new house here in Hope Mills, NC and they hydroseeded it but the only thing that grew was weeds here is a pic

dsc01237.jpg

2. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

R1rider,

Is that sand or soil? That may be part of the problem. Can you call the builder and ask what he did?

3. R1rider

R1rider LawnSite Member

It has been cut. I bought the house and had to leave for 3 months and the wife didn't do anything with it. I plan on killing everything with round up and then seeding the yard with anual ryegrass for the winter and in the spring lay some cetapeed or some zoysia. Is this a good Idea or not.

dsc01238.jpg

4. R1rider

R1rider LawnSite Member

It is sand. The neighbors yards don't have any weeds at all so I asked him and he said that nothing diffrent was done. I don't believe him but what can I do you know.

5. R1rider

R1rider LawnSite Member

jsmonroeCT

It is sand. The builder said that they hidroseeded it. The new houses that are built next to mine were hidroseeded in trhe back yard and they don't have any weeds at all.

6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Call them back out to redo it.

Do your neighbor's really look good?

7. R1rider

R1rider LawnSite Member

It doesn't look all that great but they don't have any weeds in there yard Plus they got there front yard soded. My house was the second one to get built and after the 3rd one I think all the builders started soding the front yard on all the houses but there also bumped up the price about 2 grand more or little less. I'll poat pic's tommorow of there yard.

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It sure looks like that sand needs a bit of organic matter added. Water will leach through sand very fast, and that can be disasterous for new seed. However, some weeds do very well growing on dunes without water.

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

So the yard was never watered during the last three months? The seedlings may simply have gotten burned out.

10. R1rider

R1rider LawnSite Member

My wife said she did but I don't know really how much.