I have an idea. Is it unethical?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob-Cat#1, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Bob-Cat#1

Bob-Cat#1 LawnSite Member

I am looking for cost effective ways to get my fliers out. I really only want them to go to certain neighborhoods. I will deliver them by hand one time, but I'd really like to get my fliers in their faces several times if I could.

What do you guys think about giving a stack of my fliers to the local paper boy and having him insert them before delivering? I'd pay him $20 or $30 for his trouble.

Ethical or not? Why?

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

no it isn't. The paper should get their cut. And believe me if they find out they will get there cut.

But more importantly they will fire the paper boy. Do you want that on your conscience. Why not pay him the same money to go back by and put door hangers on.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ethical yes. legal, no

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Do it, paper boys only last a few wks and then they quit and become lco

Mac

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Not ethical, illegal if the wrong people find out, could be really bad for you if your caught.

6. Bob-Cat#1

What if I just paid him to take fliers around and place them underneath his papers? Not to insert them into the papers...

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

How would it be "illegal"? What's the charge?

I personally wouldn't go about it this way, because I think it has a better shot of being read if it's hanging alone on their door, rather then In the middle of the paper (plus, not everybody gets the paper delivered), but I don't see where a law is being broken.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

First off, he works for the newspaper.
    Secondly, you are tampering with the newspapers property.
    Third, this is why newspapers charge for advertising, so you can take advantage of their circulation.
    Fourth,how's about you let your employees take some extra cash and do someone elses work while on your nickle?

9. Bob-Cat#1

Paperboy's are independent contractors. They work for themselves, not the newspaper. They purchase the newspapers and distribute them. In return for doing that they recieve a percentage of the sales. They recieve a bill from the newspaper at the end of the month and what they have left over after the bill is theirs. So the paperboy is working on his own nickle.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, the newspaper charges for people to advertise thru them, the printing, the delivery, the established route, thier reputation, the name. he, would be stealing it.