I have an idea

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Watkinslawnservice, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

My wife operates her own house cleaning biz. She just conducts business under her whole name. I am starting a lawn service this summer. We were brainstorming, trying to think up ideas for a name for my biz when she came up with "Beautiful Prairie lawn service". The town that we live in is called Belle Plaine which means Beautifull Prairie in french. Well anyway I started thinking that maybe we should just combine our 2 businesses and call it "Beautiful Prairie Property Management" specializing in residential and commercial lawn and cleaning services.

What do you guys think about this? Is there any advantages or disadvantages you can think of? One advantage I could think of was that we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone as far as advertising since we have basically the same target market.

Another question is, what kind of a business would we have to set this up as? Would it still be basically a sole propriotership or would we have to set up a partnership?

Thanks everyone, this site is awesome!

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty name but it's a too long.

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask your accountant what would be best to do. Both business' are service related and could compliment each other well. I know a lot of my customers use a cleaning company as well as lawn care. Guess I would find out if theres would be a tx advantage/disadvantage in combining. Even if you didnt combine the you could still promote each others business in your marketing.

4. Greentek4

Greentek4 LawnSite Member

you should just call it "Inside out" get it?

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Inside Out, Inside & Outside or something similar would really be best. A long name and then a longer slogan really isn't necessary to promote your business.

Property management is just that. A property management company agrees to provide all the services then hires or contracts with landscapers, plumbers, roofers and such to maintain the property.

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like a great idea, but I think yo may have to file as a partnership, which could help when it comes to doing taxes. Both companies activities would fall under one tax filing.

As far as the name goes, it is a bit long. Why not just use the town name instead? Or maybe even something along the lines of what Greentek said. How about "Complete Property Management" with a sub title of "Keeping your home beautiful, inside and out". Just think about it, if you put out fliers, you will be doubling your customer potential. payup

7. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, names do not mean much for all but .01% of this group. If your looking to go nationwide, or working in a metropolitan area, then a "catchy " name will grab some business. For the rest of us " small fry's ", quality and reliability is what builds market share.......

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. And you dont want to look like a handyman either. We will clean the house, mow the lawn, ......... I would try to keep them seperate. One thing you could do is if you were to do flyers, have them printed one on each side because it is likley that you would target the same areas.

9. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Keep them separate this might cause to much confusion with costumers.

10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's a good idea.