I have an underground beaver?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never seen anything like it, but something is gnawing away at all my small trees and rosebushes and literally chopping them down! I keep going outside and finding small trees leaning over and I look at the roots and there are all but gone? What in the he11 is doing this? I can see the teeth grooves in the wood. This cannot be a mole, This is a first and this is a serious problem!

2. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

BBB
    Bad Boy Beaver (commercial series)

3. zopi

zopi LawnSite Member

It gotta hole you can get a hose down? Hook up a hose to car exhaust and gas the little bugger...id is not an issue then, and will provide informal compost...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

Lol......I did a double take when I looked at the title of the thread.....sorry...:)

ok...what size trees are we talking about here? I've seen mole holes around my roses but none of them actually fell over dead. Is there an actual hole it's digging or just teeth marks?

5. Capemay Eagle

Young trees, you can see the teeth marks as it shaved down the roots! Again, I see a tree or bush one day and the next it is laying on it's side? I have never seen anything like it? This cannot be a mole!

6. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

CapeMay,
    See if you can find spring loaded gopher traps and set a few. Look at the other post on this page. I described what I did when I had a gopher infestation. Don't know what you've got, but the trap I'm talking about will catch and kill him, so you can see what it is.
    Good luck.

7. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried this before I tried the spring loaded gopher traps. It did not work at all. Maybe the soil in N CA was too dry and the fumes escaped, but for whatever reason the exhaust gas didn't do anything at all.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

get you a flash light and a 22 and wait
    bang bang its a died beaver

9. Capemay Eagle

I don't think they are gophers, since they are not partial to this area. I am going to get Caddy Shack on what ever this is if it bothers my Azalea's or my Boulevard Cypress or the Rose trees! My wife is calling someone today she knows to come and see if he can figure it out, then I am calling an exterminator. I have had enough of these underground varmints!

10. Capemay Eagle

This would be my solution, but I don't think it would go over well with the neighbors!