I have decided on a ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Aug 5, 2005.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I have pretty much decided to get a Velke for my 48" Bob-Cat belt drive mower w/ 15HP Kawi engine. I just got back from my local power equipment dealer, and he let my demo the Velke single wheel, and the double wheel Velke. He said that most Lco's in my area prefer the Velke single wheel, and he stated that he thinks that the Velke single wheel is the better of the two types. I found that the single wheel was a little easier to maneuver (was on a new Metro) than the double wheel (was also on a new Metro). He quoted me $279.00 for the single wheel Velke, does that sound like a fair price? What do you think?

2. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

279 seems a little steep for a 1 wheel....if he installs it than its probably worth it...i bought my 2 wheel online for 230 including the shipping....

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Thats way too high. My velke is a x1 and I got it used off a buddy for $40. Put a new tube ($4) mounting bracket ($40) and a pin ($3) and it was good to go. Its been used hard but works. You can get used ones on ebay for $80 to $120 for a complete unit.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I got mine for 199 new and installed by my dealer, reg. price was 249 but he did it for the 199. I like the two wheel better. More comfortable and stable, and it doesn't mess up your stripes.

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Now, what size bar? 15" or 18"? I am 5' 10", and 128lbs.

6. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

If You Have A New Machine Why Go With An El Cheapo Velke(used),,,,,,,,,,,, Do It Right An Forget It For Awhile. An I Agree ,,,,,,,,,,,say Ok To The 249 If He Installs It For You.

7. James&Jameslco

James&Jameslco LawnSite Member

get the velke x 2 !! the single wheel will wear out and kill your legs from flopping side to side just my 02 cents James & James.

8. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

get the two wheel one. the single wheel leaves a line in the middle of the strip

9. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

These guys have experience and I would listen to them, go with the 2 wheel......

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our dealer showed me the new Exmark riding device(looks like Velke) is sure looks like it will last. A little pricey at around $400.