I have first time user of Speedzone questions.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DLS1, Sep 24, 2004.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Got my license middle of this year so this is first time for me to spot spray.
    Using granular program.

I can talk with the local Lesco manager about these questions but I wanted some real world answers about Speedzone before I buy it and then ask the Lesco manager the questions.

1. Labeling says 'To prevent separation of the emulsion, mix thoroughly and continue agitation while spraying. This product forms an emulsion and can separate upon extended or prolonged standing.". I have a Shurflo electric backpack sprayer. Is walking around while spraying enough to 'continue agitation' or will I need to get another type of backpack sprayer or ?.

2. It has Dicamba in it but not much (0.67%). Can I spot spray under tree line as long as I don't spray on surface roots?

3. Label also mentions 'delay mowing 2 days before and until 2 days after the application of the product'. Do you follow this quote or is it alright to spray just after you mow? Does grass clippings really effect the product that much from getting on the weeds?

2. 1. backpack agitation is fine while you walk. If you have a larger tank you fill your backpack from then you will need some agitation in that.

2. I have noticed no difference in trees when I spot spray under them. But I don't spray under lower plants like shrubs or bush's

3. Mowing after an application will reduce the weed controls effect if the sprayed parts of the weed are mowed off. The control product will not trans-locate to the roots, and control will not happen.

Treating soon after a mow may harm the freshly mowed grass, and the weeds will have better protection from your spray since they will be the same height. Weed usually grow faster then grasses and two days after mowing you will probably find them above the lawn and reaching out to the sunlight.

I didn't think Lesco would carry speedzone. The lesco's near me don't.

3. DLS1

I got the specs off the Lesco website so they do sell it.

I just called the Lesco dealer and they didn't have it but the other local dealer one town over did have it. They are shipping it to me with no shipping charges. Should have it by Monday.

Thanks MrBarefoot for the information.

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Not all trees & shrubs exhibit the same tolerance for Dicamba. Be careful around Dogwoods, Jap Maples, etc.

All the stores can get it. But not all choose to.

5. snowbound

snowbound LawnSite Member
    from Buffalo

You might want to check with the LESCO that you are dealing with to make sure that the prodcuct is registered in the state that you are planning to use it. You can pruchase in one state and not be able to use it in another.

6. Speedzone is carried by all of Lesco's competitors in my area. I did inquire at the local Lesco's about it and they told me they didn't carry it and that closed the issue in my mind about getting it from Lesco.

All that said, I would think that Lesco would want to keep me out of their competitors stores and offer me the products I want to offer my customers. Perhaps its better for me this way, since they know I shop around anyway, they may offer me better prices to keep me from shopping around to much.

7. DLS1

Do you use spreader sticker with Speedzone or is ready to go as it?

Anyone use a dye marker in their backpacks when spot spraying to see where you have sprayed?

8. I personally have not used the spreader sticker, but I have heard of people who do use it.

I use a Perma-Green, and I have been told that spreader sticker will clog the tee-jets. If I had to spray lawns by hand, or by backpack, I would use the spreader sticker.

Dyemarker is messy, and I don't use that either.

Hey, just read your profile, and you say you are a programmer. How is your VB.NET?

9. DLS1

Thanks MrBareFoot, I am a mainframe programmer so I am not into VB.

I program using Cobol and DB2.