I have had a change of attitude about lawn care!! Im not going out like this!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Mar 17, 2004.

1. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Go for it Danny! Pick a neighborhood you want to work in. Go door to door on Saturday morning no earlier than 9:00, but no later than 11:00. (People like to sleep in on Sat. but then get out and run errands and you can't catch them at home.) Smile and tell them if they need a real good lawn man, you would be glad to have the job.

I get more work that way than any ad I ever ran.

Good luck!

2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

1. ditto what mbricker said above...it works

2. you CAN make your biz work if you want it bad enough...been there done that

3. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

Danny!!!!
    WELCOME BACK!!!
    Good Luck and Go get them.

4. mtnlawn

mtnlawn LawnSite Member

Keep the Faith, Danny- There are plenty of people who would lie down and quit in your situation- your fortitude and strength of will will get you through this- Impress your clients and you will be turning away work!

5. CBus

CBus LawnSite Member

Success is getting back up one more time than you get knocked down. Glad to see you're getting back up.

6. MSL70

MSL70 LawnSite Member

Danny,
    check your Private Messages

7. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Hardworking Poorman,

Glad to hear you had a change of heart I hope this advise will help after all you said "an attitude to make it big or fail big"

You said it took 2 hours to do a prop and you made $35.00 thats not good. I'm going to assume you can do larger props since you have a Z

The kind of props you should target are 1 acre props built in the last 10 years average size home 2500 and up.

An acre you should be able to get $60 to $75 for easy

1. Get out of Blackshear Georgia
    2. Look at your map and find a city within 1 hour drive.
    3. Target the outlying suburbs where growth is moving out from the city
    4. Get a local cell phone number for that area
    5. Advertise in every small newspaper you can find in that area.
    6. Inundate the area with flyers and post cards
    7. Hire a helper and pay him well (You mentioned health problems a helper will double your capacity and make the work easier)
    8. A typical 1 acre prop will take 45 to 60 minutes with a helper
    $75 - $12.00 for a helper your Gross is $63.00 for that prop.
    9. Take a critical look at yourself and your equipment if it ain't professional do something about it.
    10. Give yourself until September if you cant make by Sept then maybe look at something else
    11. Get out of Blackshear Georgia (There has got to be a major city within at least an hour)
    12. Yes you'll have a 2 hour Drive most days but I personally would drive 2 hours for $60.00 an hour vs $17.50 with no drive

Be willing to do any type property in the area and any day for Example every body wants Fridays do fridays until its full and work back.

Thats my nickels worth

Good Luck to You.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Mike. thanks, I just got home and lost 2 more accounts today. Lady thoght that 60 dollars I quoted for her 1 acre lot and one 175 foot ditch weedeating was to much, other new one when I got there changed her mine when I dropped the tailgate, could not afford it, GRRRRR

9. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Danny,

Did a little research for ya
    Pierce Couty Population is 15,636
    Blackshear pop is 3236

Man you are going to have a tough time making a living at those numbers

Waycross has a population of 15,000 or so
    Ware county probably has double that or 30,000

You can't make a living in blackshear you gotta expand into more populated areas.

PM me if you want any more suggestions

Good Luck man

10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Actually Mike, most of my accounts are in Ware/ Waycross. We have so many people in lawn business I have lost several 35 dollar yards to lco who will do them for 10 and 15. Im thinking about expecting to St. Simans and Brunswick (about 60 miles away) lots of retired upper scale folks. its a a island resort. I talked to one VERY rude arrogant lco who lives here and says he does postage stamp size yards for 50. I have a policy I will not undercut another lco but this guy was a jerk. I would undercut him in a minute if it meant surviving then he can call me a scrub. I really dont like to do that though.