1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I Have Had Enough!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SIG, Oct 30, 2002.

1. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Alright fella's-- I have gotten to the point were I can't take working for the man anymore. I read all these post's people struggling to make a living in this business, but I will tell you this, it beats the hell out of making somebody else money! I will take less money to be happy. I currently have 40 GOOD customers and plenty of equipment ( 2- 60" Lazers, 1- 52" Toro, 3- Trimmers, 2- Blowers). I would much rather deal with my own headaches than to deal with somebody else's. So let me have it, give me your .02. I would love to hear what you guys think (good or bad). Thanks for letting me vent a little!
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I make a decent living on approx 30 accounts, 1 fewer Lazer. Do you feel as though the 40 accounts dont bring in enough?

I'd say go for it! Jump right in! But why are you waiting till winter to quit you "day job" ? I'd wait till March and go full time then? No?
  3. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I would love to do that...my problem is insurance..4 kids and Im a diabetic..I need the (man) to pay for some of the medical expences...but hey Im a teacher I get 3 months off to mow on my own each year....and I love it
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

It really depends on your situation personally. Do you have a wife? Does she work? How much does she make? Do you have kids? How many? What does your retirement plan look like at work? It really looks like from the business side you are ok. Have to agree with TLS; just tough it out and in March tell the man to take this job and shove it.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ooh! It sounds like someone had a bad day at the office! :p Man, on the serious side, I say GO FOR IT!
    Just have a good game plan, and a backup to go with it. With what you have in equipment, make t work for you. Let others make YOU money. You provided the sweat, effort, and time that purchased that equipment, do it for yourself. That is what capitalism is all about. I have NEVER heard of anybody becoming a millionaire, by working for someone else. It's the American way. Is it exploitation of other people? No. They have their choices, and if you treat them right, an they enjoy working for you, then it's helping them out as well. Good luck with it.
  6. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

I can understand your frustrations with working for someone else. Owning your own business is rewarding in that how well of a job you do translates to how much money you make. It is also frustrating for some working within someone elses system or someone elses way of doing business. So, going full time with your lawn care business should be rewarding, however there are some important things to understand before you do. First, if you have a family it is a tougher situation. With your current full time job you have a dependable pay check, if you make the jump it will be less dependable. Drought, poor economy, underbid, stolen equipment, sickness or injury, etc...

Its hard for anyone to tell you whether or not to go full time without knowing ou situation. If i had 40 good accounts lined up and your equip. I would do it. But I dont have a whole lot to lose, no wife or kids to take care of.

Good Luck
  7. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

To answer the Questions:
    No Wife
    No KIds
    Have a nice house
    Have 52x30x14 brand new pole building

My plan was to make it till spring, but I am very frustrated lately. I am sure I will hold as long as I can.

I appreciate people responding-- it really does help!
  8. cst51

cst51 LawnSite Member

How many accounts can you turn out in a week during school??? I usually have 25-30 depending on the year with one of those a H.O.A. condo complex.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Sig, I would have thought that you were out making money for you already with all of that equipment. That must be rough to have two full time jobs. It sounds to me like you are a worker and that is good. Whatever you do not rush into it without a good plan and a nest egg to fall back on if things don't work out. I am not saying they will not but I just don't want anyone to get into a situation were they have no backup plan nor any money to cover them if things don't take off right away. I wish you the best.

10. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Hey Gravelyman and others:
    One of my issues is I have had a part-time guy working during the day while I am at work. Problem is he is not me, he does pretty good work, but doesn't work as much as he could, thus we have missed cuts during the season, that costs me money. Now, it gets dark so early, I am a weekend warrior. I will not be a solo operator, I know from past experience, it is so much more efficient and profitable to have a helper. I manage 5 people at my current job now, so people management is not an issue for me. The biggest thing at this point in my life, is I want to do work that I enjoy, right now I do something that pays me well, but that's about it. I have a nice 401K started, so I will roll that to an IRA or something on that course. Even with thwe pathetic snow season last year and not so great grass season this year, I still did pretty well. I had to turn down a lot of extra work, because of my tight schedule. I have no problem working 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week if I have too, trust me I do it now!