I have made up my mind and here is my plan!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not going to just sit back and cross my fingers and hope that my 10,000 post cards or my 2,000 flyers or even my sign in my yard brings me enough accounts to start the season full time.Starting tomorrow i am going to go out with my truck and one of my new "vintage lawn care" golf shirts on and i am going to pound on doors introduce myself .No post card,no flyer no nothing besides me and the balls to "ASK FOR THE SALE" one thing i learned in sales is you can do everything right and have the best product or service but you still have to ask for the sale. My goal for tomorrow is to stay out until i get atleast 1 new account signed up,ill either get it or ill be in for a long day but im doing it!!! Put it this way if you see me tomorrow you better run or you could be out $40.00 a week :weightlifter:
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well good luck! i would imagine you would be able to pick up atleast 1 new customer, if not more!
  3. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

Let us know how you do.
  4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

your truck,trailer, and sign should attract some customers too! btw everything looks awesome!
  5. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Make sure you take some business cards to leave. Even if they don't sign up now they may call you later
  6. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I think you'll do very well, you could almost forgo all the other advertising if you're going to sell door to door till you get your number. It is a numbers game, I've done it in other services when I was younger but give them a price before they open their mouth.

People will shy away if you ask them if they would like a quote because most of them will have to say NO and they don't want to be put in that position in case they appear cheap. If I was going to go door to door, I wouldn't focus on the crapier over grown lawns like I've heard people talk about here, I would throw a price at everybody. Even if that lawn is well kept and mowed, you could save them a lot of trouble for few bucks.

Do leave business cards with a written guesstimate on them. Advertising with prices is more effective then advertising with "a salesman will call" message.

btw, when I was going door to door (20 years ago) I found the best time was between 5pm and 830pm. and don't forget phone soliciting for commercial work.

One more thing, I was making a sale every 30 people I spoke to (something like that, it's been a while) I remember I would be telling myself something I read.. Just get through the first 29 as fast as possible.

edit: oh I just checked out your webpage, "Testimonials coming soon" lol. It's great.
  7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I hope you have everything ready, so you can bid them and sign them up on the spot, or at least leave a nice looking quote behind.

I hate selling door to door, but there is no doubt it is effective. If you leave materials at the doors where no one is home, expect a higher return on your time investment. You should be able to average 1 good contact/sign-up per hr. I know that sounds pie in the sky, but it is true. There was a neighborhood I really wanted to get into last yr. I was sure, if I could just get 1 or 2 accounts, more would follow. I spent 2 hrs, went door to door. I got 3 weekly accounts, 4 monthly fert & squirt accounts and 6 aerations. Not all that came at once, took about a week for all that to trickle in, but it came, and that was all from the 2 hrs. doesn't include what came later from referrals etc.

Good luck.
  8. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

good advice,i will have my estimates with me. hey buddy did you see my trailer pics yet? I got it back today! look in the pics forum.
  9. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good. let us know how it works out.:walking:
  10. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Best of luck to you...keep us posted!