I have managed to...

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Southern Sky, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Southern Sky

Southern Sky LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

yellow (or burn) my hybrid bermuda (Tif-419) by applying this product:

http://erthproducts.com/products/erth_food.html#erthfood

I applied roughly 2 cubic yards of material to approximately 3,500 sq. ft of bermuda. It did not burn all of the leaf tissue, but did burn the top 1/3 of the blade though. I did not recognize that I needed to be super careful with an "organic" (as claimed on the website) product. Oh well...lesson learned. I guess you can actually burn with an organic product.

Does it make sense that I burned my turf with this stuff applied at this rate?

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i don't understand completely. did you apply a compost topdressing (2 cubic yards)? or is this a fertilizer? if it is a fertilizer, what is the NPK? what is in it? if it is a compost topdressing, what is it derived from?

organic fertilizers are basically impossible to burn your lawn with because of the way the nutrients become available to the plant. that is the soil life needs to break down the organic matter to release the nutrients to the grass plant. i highly doubt you burnt your lawn with the fert unless it has some synthetic material in it.

it is possible if it was compost you applied it had a very high salt content in it (maybe derived from horse manure or something), and it burnt the top part of the blades.

either way water it and it should be fine.

3. Southern Sky

Southern Sky LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Thanks for the reply. On the website, the Company refers to the product as "all natural, organic, composted fertilizer." It has NPK of 1.5-0.5-0.5. I have been watering and will continue to do so. I am sure the grass will be fine in a few days, I was just stumped more than anything. The material itself is very hot to the touch and obviously generates a bit of heat. That may have something to do with it as well. It also has a very strong ammonia smell.

4. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

there is no possible way a fertilizer with that NPK can burn a lawn up. from the sounds of it...the composted material in the fertilizer is not fully composted. it should not be hot. is it steaming when you open the bag? my guess is the product is not fully composted and has a high salt content, which caused the burn. good compost is not supposed to have a strong scent like that to it. sounds a little strange. i was interested in some of their products, but now hearing that makes me think twice.

i would call them and tell them what is going on. get a refund or more product, and make sure it smells earthy, isn't steaming, isn't hot, and is good stuff. ask for an analysis of the material. they should have test results telling you the PH, Carbon:Nitrogen ratio, etc...Also, ask them what it is derived from. I bet some sort of manure.

5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

most organic compost is a .5/.5/.5 NPK. The fact that htis product has 1.5% N and the fact that it has a strong ammonia smell suggests that some Urea is being used to up the analysis. the Urea could come from Urine in the manures and sugggest the product isnt completely composted.