I have no idea how to bd this job, maybe someone else might want it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jul 15, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Heres the deal. About 5 months ago I posted a thread on a govt. bid that I had no idea how to estimate and I passed on it. Well this Tuesday the manager called back and wanted me to id again, the lco who won it did not work out. Heres the properties.

Apt coplex, 10 miles from me, about 8 hours to mow, edge, blow. Srubbery would take me about 4 days every 3 months to do. Wanted it mowed "when needed but no less than twice a month" they were real evasive on this qestion. (2) Halfway house, about an hour to do total.

These next 3 were 45 miles away from me one way. (1) small retirement home about an hour to do (2) small apt complex on a VERY steep hill, about 80 degree angle, I could not put any of my ztrs on this one, would take a walk behind to do and would still be h@ll to do. est. time ?? srubs, about 12 hours every 2-3-months (3) a mdeium size complex, about 2 hours to do and srubs about 10 hours every 2 months.
    Next one is in another town about 40 miles away, apt, complex about 6 hours mow,edge,blow and srubs about 16 hours every 2-3 months. Also has a computerized sprinkler systm (was torn up as of today) that I dont know squat about, I can change broken heads and thats my expertise on sprinklers, try to stay away from them.

All the above properties ALSO require new mulch in many flower beds, fertilizer,disease, and insect control. I know how to bid on residentual properties and commercial that just want mowing and srubs trimmed but the other is out of my comfort zone. I hate to turn down work but being solo has this one BIG disadvantage. I did not have a good feeling about it at all. The manager told me he had contacted every big lco in our area and was turned down by all because of the out of town ones. There is one thing I learned from lawnsite, if you have to ask how to bid then DONT LOL Any takers for this one in SE Georgia? Im going to pass on it. Also deadline is tommorow and I was just asked about it 2 days ago. They will not have anyone for this job by tommorow, no way.

Danny

2. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like way to much for a solo operation

3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be all over that if I lived down there. Gov't contracts are a pain in the butt and they will usually go with the lowest bidder..

I would say about $90/hr and would probably get laughed at

4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

hahahahahahahahahahahaha :p
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha:D

LOL
    LMAO
    ROTFL
    ROTFLMAO
    ROTFLMFAO

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for a kick in the butt Mike:eek:

6. QualityLawnCare4u

Boturf, you are right, its to much for me to handle. Quality, you are right, try about 30 an hour down here, and thats if your lucky.

Danny

7. QualityLawnCare4u

BTW I forgot to add that the lco who was doing it till last spring did A+ work, I dont know what happened to the 2nd lco. This did not give me a good feeling. These folks have zero loyalty, no matter how good you do, they will drop you for someone cheaper in a hearbeat.

Danny

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say forget it then, Danny. I have big aspirations myself, But i'd deffinately say, nay on that one. Go with your Gut...

9. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

Do you know anyone in these towns that can do this work? You might want to consider subbing it and making a profit on the work. Worst case scenario is that you have to drive out and do the work. How long of a contract are you talking about. Also there might be a good reason this guy called you. It sounds like he might be desperate for someone. Could be a good idea to take $$$$ADVANTAGE$$$$$ of him being desperate. You could figure a price individually for all of them and then add travel time, then 10% and submit that. I know it has been mentioned on this site before about some govt. agencies realizing they need reliabilty rather than to save money. Good luck with it.

10. QualityLawnCare4u

Kipper, they had a lco in each town doing them (3), the out of town ones had a falling out with them. I dont know exactly what happened, but I do not know any lco in the 2 other towns. Im affraid there is more to this than what they are telling me. and my gut feeling has NEVER led me wrong. Tx, I have big plans to, but this is not one of them I care to gamble on. I do believe they are desperate but their desperation is not going to make me screw up. I did govt. contracts back in the 80s on IBMs and I remember what a PITA the govt was. I wiil not get burned twice.

Danny