I have one of the Walmart mowers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by briggsman65, May 5, 2007.

1. briggsman65

briggsman65 LawnSite Member

It is a 3.5 horsepower briggs motor. ( model #9D902) When I start the mower up it runs weird. It runs at an up and down speed. Runs full idle then almost dies repeatedly. I took the carburator off and cleaned it. I cleaned the fly wheel and the armature. I changed the oil. I changed the spark plug. I also changed the air filter. The only thing I am noticing that is odd, is the spark plug keeps turning black. I can clean it and put it back in and it turns black again. I can't think of anything else to do. HELP!!!!!!

Thank-you ahead of time for your help.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

In what way did you clean the carb. ?

Did you make sure the main jet was fully open (not restricted) ?

Did you install a new diaphragm ?

Sounds like it's running lean causing the hunt (up/down running). When a engine does this every time it goes up it's pulling more fuel than required to maintain a steady speed, That could account for the black plug.

3. briggsman65

I just took it off of the gas tank and sprayed it with the carb cleaner. it is one of those "fancy" plastic carburators. I cleaned the screen and the pick up tube and all of the dirt. I did not replace the diaphragm. Do you think that it needs to be replaced? I didn't really pay attention to the main jet as far as adjusting. Didn't see how you would open it up.

4. Restrorob

The main jet is shown below. There is no adjustment, Spray cleaner through it and make sure it's open. I would suggest replacing the diaphragm. These plastic carbs are not the best at sealing.

[​IMG]

5. briggsman65

Cool.................Thanks I will try this and also thanks for the diagram with the part numbers.:)

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious-
    Does that carb have a choke?

7. Restrorob

No Bill, It has a primer bulb and reference # 913 is the primer check valve assembly. I don't remember ever having a problem with this assembly to cause a rich run/hunt situation but anything is possible.

8. briggsman65

No choke...........just as Rob is saying. I will order diaphragm tomorrow and let you know if it works when I get it.

9. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

10. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

I Brought a power washer with a briggs on it and i took it back the next day because it would take 15 pulls to get it started and it would run for hour and then I would shut it off and then I would have to pull and pull and choke it after it had been running to get it back started.