I have seen the light! I will never use an edger again!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Holland, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

I was always so pro edger, but I must say I'm a darn kick ass dude edging with a trimmer. Using an 8 pound 22T Shindaiwa I'm UNSTOPPABLE! You do NOT want to be in a edging contest with me! :cool2:
    So long edgers! My trimmer racks don't need you!!
  2. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Im in the same boat as you. I have both a stick edger and wslkbehind one and can do s better job with some 105 or 130 string in my 265t trimmers.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

I've always had trouble scalping the grass when I try edging with the trimmer, especially if I try doing it with any sort of speed.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Unless your talking about just maintaining edges, the trimmer is the go to edger for me. But when it comes time for a new customer and a new edge that needs a groove, the trimmer is not my go to weapon. :nono: On a lawn that's constantly maintained by me the trimmer is my handy dandy machine.
  5. PicturePerfectLawns

Tell me a little more about this 8 pound 22T Shindaiwa, I may be on the market for one soon. ;)
  6. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

My hands aren't that steady. I tried to edge with a trimmer one time, couldn't keep it straight. I'll just stick to the tool designed specifically for the job.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

not sure they still make them. I bought three a while back. I took off the metal tank guards and put a bit of athletic tape on the grip. If there ever was a one handed comfortable trimmer this is it!
  8. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I'd like to know more myself. If it is obsolete, I would like to know the closest replacement available today.

I am very impressed with those who can edge with a trimmer, any trimmer, and leave a job that looks like it was done with an edger. I've seen it done, but I'm so impressed because I've never been able to master the skill myself.
  9. Stone74

Stone74 LawnSite Member

They are awesome, had three for the past 8 years.
    They don't make them anymore. I just bought 2 of the replacement models T235 slightly heavier but even better balanced than the 22T didn't think that was possible.....I also have Stihl trimmer and they don't compare.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. PicturePerfectLawns

There's not many secrets to it, the secret is "practice, practice, practice." I started on my own lawn before I picked up the skill. :laugh: I watched some other guy do it the opposite way as me and I've tried his way and found out I can leave a much cleaner edge, just have to be more careful. I always edged from the sidewalk, but started edging from the grass side going right to left. It seems it leaves a much cleaner edge, you just have to make sure you keep the line going down the groove of the sidewalk instead of trying to edge the grass. Another common mistake is letting that line go to deep. Just a bit of the line needs to make contact.

As for the light weight timmer, I made a post about one. I'm looking into the Husky 223L right now. They are only $250.00, have SOLID reviews from owners, and only weight 9 lbs.