1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I have small biting insects and do not know what?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by flyerman, Jul 10, 2006.

1. flyerman

flyerman LawnSite Member

They are small and you can kill them after they bite you but do not know how to get rid of them. They seem like little brown or black tiny insects. I live on Long Island and I am going to try Talstar but I am not sure of what time of day and how much to use. Can anyone shed some light? Please
  2. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

Before you start spraying, you should find out for sure what the "insect" is. In the long run it will save you alot of time, money, headach, and you will be able to get faster control. Do they fly?, how tiny - the size of pepper flakes or bigger? Where do you get bit? - legs, head, all over. Is it in specific rooms or outside? How many do you see- 1 or 2 aday or 1,000's

sorry for all the questions, but depending on what you have and how severe will depend on how to treat it?
  3. flyerman

flyerman LawnSite Member

They bite all over and I think they are no-see-ums and my honey thinks they are nats. They fly and when they bite you can then see they are small and mash to a little black or brown dash that you can not really see what they are. Thanks for the reply.
  4. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

OK - now I have an idea of what you are dealing with. I'd go with the "no-see-ums" (AKA sand fly/ black gnat). Unfortunately for me, I can say "ya, we've got those". You can barely see them and when they bite they leave a welt the size of a half dollar. They mostly breed in salt marshes, but will breed in most any damp area. I doubt that spraying your yard will give the relief you want. If you are outside- buy a can of DEET (OK - several cans and plan to be inside at dark. If you are getting bit inside- they are attracted to lights so you may want to keep the windows closed when the lights are on at night. If you want to spray something- you could try spraying the screens on the windows (the outside surface) if they have a really-really fine mesh.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you seaweed!!!!! Hay, speed up your post count so I can send you a PM. I think you have to have 25!!!
  6. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

I'd speed up my post counts, but i can barely keep up with my work right now let alone post threads- there 16 more to go!
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

you only need 10 posts.
  8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Try LESCO's "Crosscheck". I'm pretty sure it will "kill the varments". One ounce per 10 gallons of spray should do the job.
  9. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

Okay, If you look in "Truman's Scientific Guide to Pest Control", no see-ums are Chiggers, not sand flies. Shiggers, no see-ums, are flesh color to a very pale reddish color, making them hard to see, hence the name. A very common pest in Florida. If you can readily see these insects, the are more likely to be the sand flea, or some thing of the like. Proper identification will help you to treat the correct area, the first time. Try catching some on scotch tape, and take it in to a professional for identification.
    BTW, if it is a flying insect, you can reduce the numbers you are seeing, temporarily, with an area fogger. Pyrethroids give quick knock down, and low to no residual.
  10. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

I dusted off my "truman's guide to pest control" and my copy confirms what I said- "sand flies, no-see-ums, and black gnats are in the same family- ceratopogonidae to be exact". Chiggers and no-see-ums are not related- chiggers are the larval stage of mites and do not fly. no-see-ums are flies that are 1/16th of an inch and here in maine they are not "flesh colored" they are black. I personally don't think fogging is going to help very much if they are coming through the screens- actually i don't believe he said weather they were inside or out.