1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I have something to look forward too HA HA HA

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

My updated retirement report came in the mail the other day I can retire 2036 and get 1300 dollars a month. Let the count down start I have 28 years to go.

What chaps my azz the most is I still can't afford to buy a house with the realestate market taking a swirl down the toilet. With the bad bank problems in the USA is making CND banks more cautious. I don't make enough money per year to handle a 300,000 dollar house which is the cheapest one on the market. Sorry you don't make enough money annual income of 40 grand a year doesn't qualify you for a mortage.

I'am getting quite a few people saying to me your lucky to have a job its like you mean I'am going to be stuck in this job :mad:

Then one of the muni employees I know says don't expect to see construction picking up for 2-3 years. The building dept isn't seeing very many permits being taken out.

My plans of making extra money doing general contracting on the side has flopped that is really frustrating. What in the heck happened to the renovation work. I know renovation work isn't happening because the debris pile at the landfill isn't very large. Even landscaping has dropped off.

So now what offer to do work for free :confused:

I really hate the fact people are saying that your lucky to have a job does that mean its getting that bad. I need to do what I want to do not what I can't stand doing. Ya I have full time employment its a dead end job that you watch your life tick away. Nothing changes it is the same thing day in day out I guess it is the same as a factory job standing on a assembly line. You pretty well put in your time and go home.

Oh ya there is no point in moving anywhere the economy is about the same everywhere else. Moving to Vancouver isn't a choice, the construction market is probably going to last another 6 months and it will be dropped off.

I have been job searching the classifieds and the wages are way too low. To live in Vancouver you have to make minimum 20 dollars per hour. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Vancouver has to be the worst crap hole to live.

I guess its ride out the economy slow down and take everybody that says to me your lucky to have a job advice. H*ll I don't even know if my job is safe. Talking to another employee the other day and he said he was told no overtime no spending money.

A career as a equipment operator isn't in my future for a few years no contractor can gaurantee a full time job or even a part time job. These guys don't even know what is going to happen with them. You get sorry guy we don't have enough work to hire you.

I could get a job with the highways maintenance contractor they are begging for people to work for 14-16 dollars per hour and get treated like crap. New guys apply for a job last 6 months and quit. It is so bad the contractor doesn't even bother advertising for jobs.

Not doom and gloom its just the sign of times how screwed up the ecomomy is and the provincial gov't doesn't even care. My friends that work in the forestry industry are looking at being jobless pretty quick if things don't improve.

With tourism was really bad this year and with the financial troubles in the USA, investors and investment companies in B.C. have cut back on spending. There is very little money being spent right now.

Maybe its why people are saying to me your lucky to have a job.

Career planners say september is a good month to change careers what a bunch of B.S.

Anyhow enough ranting just frigging disgusted how things are going with jobs losses and jobs on the line. Thought things would pick up this sept but its getting worse.
  2. SouthernLandworks

SouthernLandworks LawnSite Member

All you ever do is complain. If I was as sad and mad as you all the time i'd just shoot myself. Yes we all have it bad now but what is complaining to everyone going to help???And why is this thread in the heavy equipment section???
  3. bobcatuser

bobcatuser LawnSite Senior Member

Life is like a dogsled team...unless you are the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
  4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, 1300 bucks, that's damn good! My dad did the papers once, and all he would ever see is $300, hence the $96,000 Orange colored "retirement statement".
  5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Didn't read it......don't want to.....And, what is the definition of insanity?
  6. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear Charlie Brown's teacher talking after the first sentence on GR's posts...:dizzy:
  7. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

That's funny!
  8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I saw this was posted by GR and I wasnt goin to read it until i saw the name of the thread.. I figured it was goin to be good and then I started reading and it went down the drain in just one freakn sentence!

now this is me ignoring the rest of this thread....
  9. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Move here to Abbotsford, or even Chilliwack, who says you need to live in Crack'couver?

Even our local municipalities are offering awesome 5 year contracts just as an incentive, Abbotsford's Public works just bought a few new trucks to replace the aging gravel trucks (all automatics!!!) I just spotted an new International single axle set up for a gravel/sander/plow truck, 5 new Cat TLB's and a host of new equipment. Seriously, with your back ground in everything and anything on wheels/tracks, Abby could use you.

Then you can work with someone just as screwed up like me. :laugh: