I have steam squirting out of my ears

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 15, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I bought the wife a new '05 Expedition last month and decided it was time to change the oil this morning. I go to take the oil filter off and it won't budge. I wrestle with it for 30 minutes with my bare hands and this thing is stuck. I get in my truck and drive to Autozone to buy a filter a wrench. I go back home and get my socket wrench and start wrestling. Sure enough, the filter is on so tight that the filter wrench bends the filter's corners and strips it. So I drive back to Autozone and the guy recommends I just stab a screw driver through the filter such that it is sticking out the other side and then I would be able to turn it. So I go back home and tap a hole in the bottom to drain the oil. Then I tap a screw driver through the filter and start trying to turn it. Sure enough, the damn thing is on so tight that the aluminum sides of the filter are bending before this filter will turn.

Those idiots at Ford! I can't believe they aren't trained in the proper way to install an oil filter. Everybody knows you turn the thing until the gasket makes contact. Then another 1/4 to 1/2 turn and that is it. I think Ford must have used lock tight on the threads or something. I have been trying to make this oil change for three hours now!!!:realmad:

Anyone have any advice for getting this filter off?

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

Stuck Oil Filter.JPG

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Try turning it in the opposite direction
    if that does not work try grabbing it at the very top part with a big big pair of channel locks
    or use a better stronger filter wrench placing it at the top part of the filter

3. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

If its not to late use a oil strap wrench. A good one from snap on or mac.
    If that dosnt work you can try getting a large pair of channel locks or a pipe wrench in there.

Been down that road before. Good luck.

4. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

So I should try to tighten it to get it lose?

5. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

I don't think there would be any way to get a pipe wrench in that tiny space. I am thinking the entire fan assembly is gonna have to be taken apart to allow for elbow room.

Maybe the dealer will pay to have the damn thing towed into their shop and then their mechanics can have fun with it. In my mind, this is clearly a manufacturing defect.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

6. Green Edge

Green Edge LawnSite Member

strap wrench will definetly work in this case i had the same problem with my womans Blazer, i bought a 10 dollar strap wrench from Advance auto and right off it came

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes try turning it in the opposite direstion 1st

8. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Does the strap wrench have a rubber strap that grabs the filter or is it the kind that has a metal C chaped curve to it?

9. Green Edge

Green Edge LawnSite Member

it is a rectangular piece of metal with a nylon strap attached to the end, mine uses a 1/2 inch ratchet to turn it just as you woul a socket, it tightens up and loosens it, if you dont have enough room for the ratchet just use a long extension and then hook your ratchet to it

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

That's pretty consistant with all new vehicles.