I have to brag

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mark B, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this a irrigation forum. But I installed some landscape lights in some concrete this week. 7 lights that are in the concrete. This is a exsiting building. I'm goina give this a try. The building is on a slab with a hang over (like a side walk) so I had to core drill 7 -6" holes for the lights. Well 3 of the holes didn't have easy access to run the wire. So here is what I did. These three lights were on like a sidewalk that was against the building and the paved parking lot. So I drilled the holes, then I took 25' of 3/8 thread rod connected that to my 18volt drill. Then proceeded to run the rod under the concrete slab and try to hit my last hole that is 23' away. The first hole was perfect the 2nd was ok and the 3rd was ok as well. By this time I'm stoked that it even worked. Now for the hard part getting the wire back through the hole I just drilled. I connected the twine to the rod using the holeI drilled in the end for that purpose then, used the small twine then pulled my wire later with the twine. I can't believe it worked out as good as it did. It took 7hrs to do just the 3 lights.

2. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Cool idea, where are all the photos???

3. Mark B

I didn't take any, but I will take some of the finished job.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Where does one get a twenty-five foot length of 3/8" threaded rod? :confused:

5. Mark B

it comes in 10' sections. So you take 2 thread rod couplings and make sure you put a nut on each section and TIGHTEN it against the coupling so it willnot back out. Then you just attach the rod to your drill. I drilled a small hole on the end going under the concrete so I could attach the twine to.

My help connected the first rod I made. BUT he didn't tightin it hard enough so guess what happened next??? I had to go and buy some more rod and couplings...:realmad:

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

So basically you had a 20' auger bit? :)

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You'd be derned lucky out here if you could do that without running into rocks.

I suppose the other route you could have taken is by using a boring air missile.

8. Mark B

I bored through the stone that was under the slab. I think that helped me out. I'm going to get some pictures of the finish job this week.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You couldn't do that with our soil.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about base rock or natural stone in the ground? I could see where you might be able to get through some base rock. I think you were dang lucky the rod didn't dive or move to the side of your bore line when it hit obstructions. Also, pretty dang good if you hit a 6" diameter hole 23' away.