I have to buy a push mower in the AM

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by vencops, Mar 20, 2011.

1. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

My properties are subject to change at any time (new ones make the list....old ones go off). Nature of my business. LCO is about 20% of my work.

That being said, I used my push mower on 1 property last week (1st week of mowing) for about 5min's. I don't ever see me using one that much (although I'll be screwed if I get a large, gated back yard I can't get my pro cat into).

I have two cmmercial accounts that I'll probably have to use a push mower on for a few minutes each.

Short story long....I need a push mower, in the AM. Mine's just shot.

My dealer I bought my Bobcat from also carries Toro. I'd like to buy from him. But, I don't feel like I need a commercial unit. And, I'd like to get out on the cheap (within reason).

Any suggestions? Any suggestions, other than the Toro brand? Availability is an issue. I need one of these in the morning.

Thanks, SO MUCH.
  2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I would go to home depot and buy one of these.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I would just go get any MTD self propelled mower.

That or upgrade just a bit and get a Toro.
  4. no more than you use it, just go to walmart and get one. I'm the same way, just don't use one much.
  5. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

A friend of mine that runs solo has run one of these for 3 years now a few hours a week.

His comments are:
    Honda engine is quiet. The big wheels make it easy to push and hops curbs on commercial props easier. No reason to pay for self propelled with such little use.

We use 21's a few hours daily so I have to run commercial or they would tear up constantly.
  6. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I'm the same way, I use my mower about 15 minutes per week so I just went to Sears and got a Craftsman for about $300, great machine and starts on the first pull every time.
  7. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Hi-Wheel Murray...from Wal-Mart. About $170.00
  8. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I got the <$300 Toro with rear wheel drive. Worked great for the 10min's I used one, today.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
  9. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

search craislist or craigslook in your area for a good deal on a used commercial. Guys on here find insane deals on the old Toro's and lawnboy's all the time.
  10. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry should have read the last post. You will like that mower quite a bit, good luck.