I have to know, WHY are lawn stripes so important?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xpnd, Feb 28, 2003.

1. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Call me stupid, others do; but why is so much time, energy and worry put into creating stripes on a lawn? The only place I see it in my area is the Ballpark at Arlington. The Rangers ain't impressive, but the field is. Skewed stripes look bad. I don't want to know how to stripe, I just want to know why.

2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

If you don't have straight stripes in your lawns, your slow, its the most time efficient way to cut a lawn. If you run over a part of a lawn that has already been cut your wasting time,... unless you double cut lawns.

I always look at the sun and mow to-wards it, to create bright stripes, and I and never run over my tracks from last week, because the suns position changes.

Plus it looks professional.

3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Six years in the business, never had one customer ask about a stripe. Most our lawns are med to small, we don't even think about it.

4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see how it can't be done. That is the fastest way for us to mow. (besides the 21"ers)

5. coonman

Yes, on some of the bigger nicer lawns we do get a nice stripe. But most of our lawns are a mixture of weeds, fescue and bermuda and a bare spot here and there.

6. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason we put such an emphasis on striping is because that is your trademark as a lawn care professional. That is part of what a customer is paying a "professional" for. They just aren't paying to get there grass cut short...they're paying for there lawn to be groomed...and a beautiful set of stripes is something that VERY FEW homeowners can do on there own. It is a symbol of professionalism in my opinion.:jester:

7. coonman

XPND,

One last thing, on the wide open lawns you will get a stripe most of the time. But the lawns like my backyard that are around 1500 sq ft with a tree or bush every 15 feet, you spend all your mowing time going around in circles and constantly changing directions. That is typical of 90 percent of our lawns. If we did the large estate type lawns maybe it would be on our mind more like some of the other guys here.

8. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

True, it is harder to get a good stripe pattern when you are zigging and zagging around obstacles, but it still can be done very easily. Just as long as your equipment isn't too big for the lawn, and it is striping capable.

It's not important to the lawns health, but it sure looks good.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody other than myself lays out a stripe here. The rest of my competition tries, but fails miserably. They either don't have a mower than can stripe well or they can't keep the stripe straight. I swear some of the guys here mow drunk. Just to watch what they go over twice is hilarious. They all have their POS 21'ers that they bought at Wal-Mart that can't stripe and these guys couldn't hold it straight so all you get is a bunch of crooked wheel marks all across a lawn. I stripe to set myself apart from those guys. It makes me look professional plus it's the fastest way to mow.

10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Have to agree with pro turf. its just professional looking, and the fastest way to cut. I personally pride myself on it. It makes a home owners lawn stand out from the rest of the yards. Next thing you know you are cutting half the block. Obviously there are times when it cant be done. I have an account that has nothing but big rocks everywhere, about an acre, worst account I have, but he gave me his motel account, what is a man to do;) I think homeowners like well groomed yards that look like a golf course, and will pay the extra to have it done:drinkup: