I have used some ONE AP as a test, info here!

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassman177, Mar 20, 2010.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm... thanks for all the great info and answering the ????'s. On the pre-E I am not familiar with that type, is it similar to barricade or ronstar? what is the typical duration of that, surely you will not get that long (7 months) out of it would you? Typically pre's are only good for 4 to 6 months. On the price... that is a lot better than I thought, that product is sounding more attractive all the time.

Is there an ideal time to lay it? say Feb and Oct.? It is probably too late right now correct?

Ok, I am done bombarding you with all my questions, I have really got a lot out of this thread and continue to do so, I wish the guy you mentioned would come on here and discuss a bit as well.

Anyway, thanks again!

Jeff

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

lush&green - that looks likes some really healthy KBG for sure. Cool We've been using Agrium slow-release fert this year with similar results. (XCU vs PPSCU = the same thing IMO).

This is the most recent pic I can offer regarding slow-release + BWC. "All Green" (out of Sioux City) treated this acreage in Onawa, IA about a month ago with 30% slow 20-0-5 XCU and a 3-way herbicide. Before that, it was a weedy, messy hay field. This property is now mowed every two weeks. Not bad for a low maintenance area. The property belongs to Michaels restaurant where the car show was held on June 19.

1st pic is of the acreage in Onawa, IA

2nd pic is in front of Michael's restaurant where we attended a car show yesterday. Car on the right (T/A Challenger) I sold to a Viet Nam Vet (friend). Car on the left is my convertable. Guy on the right is one of my guys. Guy on the left owns the yellow T/A and was wounded 3 times in Nam. Notice his Nebraska plates...."I Lied", cuz his T/A now has a 440 six pack instead of the original 340 six pack.

Onawa 2010 002.jpg

Onawa 2010 001.jpg

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yes it is too late, cavalcade is barricade, and it needs to applied early. waste of time now. the barricade is the same, only the fert is duration. i believe they attach the pre emergent to the small amount of amonical nitrogen that they put in the blend to give an initial release of fertilizer. no different from any other type, just different app rate of the product, understand?

4. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

ahhh... OK, thanks. Keep us up to date as summer progresses, will be interesting to see how it responds to long hot, dry weather.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

well, we did got almost 2 weeks without rain, moderate temps, and it showed no signs of drought when plenty of other lawns were . you could really tell the fertilizer had quit giving for a moment, it was different than other fertilizers. hard to explain. oh, and it still grew pretty darn well during this time. now, we have had more than plenty of rain here for a couple of weeks or so, a bunch in the last week, and it does not grow any more than any other time save maybe once during late april

6. One-AP TIM

One-AP TIM LawnSite Member

Thought some may want to take a look at some pics of my lawn now in its 5th consecutive year treated with One AP. I’d like to say it only had 5 applications in 5 years but I’ll come clean. I added a boost of about ¾ LB N with Ammonium Sulfate before my oldest Son’s HS Graduation Party in June of 2007 otherwise it’s been fertilized 5 times in 5 years. My youngest son’s grad party was a week and a half ago and I held off any temptations and kept it pure One AP as it has been the last 3 years. This year’s treatment was April 6th 78 days ago. 2.5LB N/1000. I have irrigation but I’ve only turned on once about a month ago. We’ve had very wet weather the last month in Chicagoland. I did two applications of Mancozeb seven days apart about two to three weeks ago. I saw some dollar spot starting and wanted a perfect lawn for the Party. The grass type is a mix of Turf Type Tall Fescue with Perennial Ryegrass.

My neighbor to the left is a 5 step (leading retail product) guy. This year he’s treated two applications and yes his lawn does look pretty nice for a week or two after application which gives me some competition. Right now I’m catching him when it looks like he needs another application. Like I said we’ve had a bunch of rain the last month and it’s added to the leaching of the mostly quick release program.

I treat my neighbor to the right with One AP and he has had only 5 treatments in 5 years. His lawn is a Blue Rye mix.

I’m also taking daily photos with a stationary security camera and plan to have a time lap’s presentation for this year’s winter One AP meetings. I always take photos in October when the leaves change colors which I think is the real McCoy but I always get the question of how it looked at different stages throughout the year so I’ve committed myself to do that this year.

From Drive.jpg

From Ralf's.jpg

From Sidewalk.jpg

Side from drive.jpg

Tree Side By Side.jpg

7. One-AP TIM

Hineline,
    One of the positive aspects of the Duration or Polyon technology is that depending on how you build the blended product with the different release types would dictate when it would be “played out”. Not sure of the details of what you went against in the 90’s but it’s possible the Polyon blended types you compared with was not intended for a once a year application. I disagree that the technology is only temperature released. Both temperature and moisture needs to be present for release. The product noticeably will begin to stop releasing when entering a drought period even in higher temps in the summer months.

8. One-AP TIM

jsf343,
    I’ll help you with some of your questions. The SiFi/One AP product spreads extremely nice. Many have said it was the best spreading product they have ever spread. Misapplications are rare but they have happened. Like with all fertilizers I encourage the operator to watch their left to right spread pattern and make any adjustments. Most striped applications are due to an overthrow to one side. Duration moves through the spreader a bit easier than other raw materials so it tends to slide off the impeller faster so adjustments may have to be made when switching from a conventional fertilizer.

I strongly encourage SiFi/One AP users to spread at the recommended rates with the proper products for the growing zone. Cutting One AP in half and applying twice will not achieve the same results and will cost the operator more time and labor. Yes, if it’s over applied it will release more just like any conventional fertilizer. I don’t see a lot of over applications mostly under applications with new users.

We have a spreading guide called “Tech Helper” that can be found on our website. www.one-ap.com

9. One-AP TIM

Teejet,
    This concern comes up a bunch but I’ve NOT found that the Duration would crush under the weight of a large mower. I had the same concern when I first began marketing One AP. The granular works its way into the thatch and even into the soil a bit protecting it from the weight of the mower. In the fall we have field days at properties treated 6-7 months earlier. The turf looks great so you know there is some Duration present releasing but they’re hard to find. I have to incentivize the attendees with $5 bills. 5 Bucks for Duration granules found in the planting beds and 10 bucks for ones found in the turf. After I’m out of money everyone comes together with what they found. Generally we’ll have a collection of different Duration granules in different stages of release. Finding the ones in the turf are tough that’s why I have to give 10 bucks each. They are found deep in the thatch usually at the soil surface.

I’ve not found that the product would wash down a slope. Like I said the product finds its way down into the thatch quickly. In fact nutrient from Duration would be much more stable on slopes compared to quick release nitrogen.

10. One-AP TIM

Teejet,
    To back up what Grassman said. Duration is a very efficient nitrogen source. When leashing and volatility is nearly eliminated the product becomes much more efficient. You would want to reduce the total yearly nitrogen used in a conventional program by 40-50%. We recommend our northern blends at 2-2.5LB-N/1000 and our transition blends 2.5-3LB-N/1000